Acoustic Emission Studies on Irradiated Plastic-Copper Interfaces in Mode I at Room Temperature and at 77K
The mechanical properties of interfaces between fiber reinforced plastics and copper were investigated in the crack opening mode (mode I) at room temperature and at 77 K. In addition, reactor irradiations were performed up to a fast neutron fluence of 1×1022m2 (E<0.1MeV) prior to testing. The mechanical tests were made on two dimensionally reinforced epoxy-copper interfaces at room temperature and at 77 K with a wedge splitting device. The influences of different treatments of the copper surface and of irradiation on the mechanical behavior of the interfaces are presented and discussed together with results of acoustic emission investigations.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Acoustic Emission Crack Open Displacement Acoustic Emission Event Acoustic Emission Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. Poehlchen, E. Salpietro, M. Vassiliadis, J. Rauch, F. Koenig, G. Claudet, J.N. Chabert, J. Marangos, E. Kraehling, and M. Soell, The mechanical strength of irradiated electric insulation of superconducting magnets, Adv. Cryog. Eng. 36:893 (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.P. Bruzzone, K. Nylund, and W.J. Muster, Electrical insulation system for superconducting magnets according to the wind and react technique, Adv. Cryog. Eng. 36:999 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.H.K. Katheder, H. Gerstenberg, E. Krähling, and M. Söll, Summary of results on irradiation and testing at 4.5 K of epoxy-glass-fibre-steel samples, Proc. of SOFT 18, Karlsruhe, Germany (1994) in press.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Lau, and R.E. Rowlands, Interlaminar fracture and AE studies of composites at RT and 77 K, Adv. Cryog. Eng. 36:949 (1990).Google Scholar
- 14.K. Humer, E.K. Tschegg, R. Platschka, and H.W. Weber, Fracture behavior of plastic-copper interfaces in the crack opening mode (mode I) after neutron and gamma irradiation Nonmetallic Materials and Composites at Low Temperatures-VII, 24–26 October 1994, Hawaii, USA, Cryogenics (1995) in press.Google Scholar
- 15.K. Humer, E.K. Tschegg, R. Platschka, and H.W. Weber, A testing technique in the interlaminar crack opening mode (mode I) for fiber reinforced plastics Nonmetallic Materials and Composites at Low Temperatures-VII, 24 – 26 October 1994, Hawaii, USA, Cryogenics (1995) in press.Google Scholar