VAMAS Tests of Structural Materials on Aluminum Alloy and Composite Material at Cryogenic Temperatures
A Technical Working Area 17, cryogenic structural materials, has been organized in the Versailles Project on Advanced Materials and Standards (VAMAS) to promote the prestandardization program on material properties tests of glass fiber reinforced polymer (GFRP) composite materials and alloys at liquid helium temperature. A series of international interlaboratory comparisons of both tensile and fracture toughness tests for aluminum alloy 2219 and compression and shear tests for composite material G-10CR were performed. Nine research institutes from seven nations have participated in this project. The results prove that there are few problems in cryogenic tensile tests for alloy materials. In compression and shear tests, the amount of data scatter was identified and further experiments are planned. This paper presents the program details and interim results of round robin tests.
KeywordsCompressive Strength Aluminum Alloy Fracture Toughness Shear Test Cryogenic Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ogata, T., Nagai, K., Ishikawa, K., Shibata, K., and Fukushima, E., VAMAS Interlaboratory Fracture Toughness Test at Liquid Helium Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 36, (1990) 1053–1060Google Scholar
- 2.Ogata, T., Nagai, K., Ishikawa, K., Shibata, K., and Fukushima, E., VAMAS Second Round Robin Test of Structural Materials at Liquid Helium Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 38, (1992) 1053–1060Google Scholar
- 3.Ogata, T., Nagai, K., and Ishikawa, K., VAMAS Tests of Structural Materials at Liquid Helium Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 40, (1994) 1191–1198Google Scholar
- 4.Zabra, R.F, An Overview of Compression Standards Development for Composite Materials, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 36, (1990) 835–842Google Scholar
- 5.Evans, D., Johnson, I., Jones, H., Hughes, D.D., Shear Testing of Composite Structures at Low Temperatures, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 36, (1990) 819–826Google Scholar
- 6.Simon, N.J., Drexler, E.S., and Reed, R.P., Shear/Compressive Tests for ITER Magnet Insulation, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 40, (1994) 977–983Google Scholar
- 9.Becker, H., and Erez, E.A., A Study of Interlaminar Shear Strength at Cryogenic Temperatures, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 26(1980) 252–258Google Scholar