Tensile Strain / Transverse Compressive Stress Effects in Nb3Sn Multifilamentary Wires with CuNb Reinforcing Stabilizer
In order to improve the strain/stress characteristics of the critical current Ic, the use of external CuNb reinforcing stabilizer, instead of the conventional Cu stabilizer, with bronze processed Nb3Sn multifilamentary superconducting wires was examined up to the magnetic field of 14T and at a temperature of 4.2K. Although the axial tensile strain sensitivity of Ic was not changed, the strain for peak Ic as well as the reversible strain limit increased by 0.14% when the Cu stabilizer was replaced by the CuNb reinforcing stabilizer. On the other hand, the transverse compressive stress sensitivity of Ic decreased and the reversible stress limit increased. An increase in both a bronze to Nb ratio and Sn content in bronze matrix resulted in a higher stress tolerance and, as a consequence, the contribution of the CuNb reinforcement became relatively small.
KeywordsAxial Tensile Proof Stress Superconducting Wire Block Width Intrinsic Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.K. Noto, N. Konishi, K. Watanabe, A. Nagata, and T. Anayama, in “Proc. Int. Symp. Flux Pin. Electromagn. Prop. Superconds.”, Eds. T. Matsushita, K. Yamafuji, and F. Irie, Matsukuma Press, Fukuoka(1985), p.272.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Nakayama, S. Murase, K. Shimamura, N. Aoki, and N. Shiga, Adv. Cryog. Eng., 38:279 (1992).Google Scholar
- 14.K. Kamata, K. Katagiri, T. Okada, T. Takeuchi, K. Inoue, K. Watanabe, Y. Muto, T. Ogata, and T. Tsuji, in “Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Magnet Tech.” Eds. T. Sekiguchi, and S. Shimamoto, Elsevier Appl. Sci., London (1989), p. 1231.Google Scholar
- 15.J.W. Ekin, Cryogenics, 611 (1980).Google Scholar
- 17.W. Specking, W. Goldacker, and R. Flukiger, Adv. Cryog. Eng., 34:569 (1988).Google Scholar
- 20.B. ten Haken, A. Godake and H.H.J. ten Kate, Adv. Cryog. Eng., 40:875 (1994).Google Scholar
- 21.H. Boschman, A.P. Verweij, S. Wessel, H.H.J. ten Kate, and L.J.M. van de Klundert, IEEE Trans., MAG-27:1831 (1991).Google Scholar
- 22.S.L. Bray and J.W. Ekin, Adv. Cryog. Eng., 38:643 (1992).Google Scholar