High Tensile Bi-2223 Ag-MgO Sheathed Oxide Superconductor
Ag-Mg(Ni)O sheathed mono-core and multifilamentary tapes have been fabricated to improve the mechanical property of powder-in-tube method (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox, Bi-2223, conductor. Fine Mg(Ni)0 precipitates in the sheath increased the 0.2% yield strength of the conductor up to 190MPa, which is comparable to the commercial Nb3Sn conductor. The Ag-MgNiO sheathed multifilamentary conductor exhibited a good strain tolerance: critical current density, Jc, did not decreased much up to 0.2% of bending strain and retained 80% of the zero strain Jc value at 0.5% of bending strain. The dependence of Jc on magnetic field was measured at 4.2K. The Ag-MgO sheathed mono-core tape made by pressing showed Jc value of 105 A/cm2 at 4.2K and 13T. The Ag-MgNiO sheathed multifilamentary tape made by rolling exhibited Jc of 2.6×104 A/cm2 at 4.2K and 12T. The present results of high yield strength, good strain tolerance and high values of Jc are enough to the application to the high field magnet.
KeywordsCritical Current Density High Field Magnet Single Core High Yield Strength Strain Tolerance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Sato, K. Ohkura, K. Hayashi, M. Ueyama, J. Fujikami and T. Kato, High Held Generation Using Silver-Sheathed BSCCO Conductor, presented at the International Workshop on Advances in High Magnetic Fields, AHMF95, Feb. 20–22, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Yamada, M. Satou, T. Masegi, S. Nomura, S. Murase, T. Koizumi, and Y Kamisada, Microstructural Effect on Critical Current Density in (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Ag Sheathed Tape, in: “Advances in Superconductivity VI,” T. Fujita and Y. Shiohara, ed. , Springer-Verlarg, Tokyo, (1994), p. 609.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.H. H. J. Ten Kate, B. Ten Haken, A. Godeke, and J. Tenbrink, ‘Hie Influence of Tension and Compression on the Critical Current Density in BSCC02212/Ag Wires and lapes, in: “Critical Currents in Superconductors” H. W. Weber, ed. , World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, 1994, p. 549.Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Yamada, H. Onoda, M. Satou, K. Yamamoto, O. Horigami, N. Fabre and T. Hasegawa, Ag-MgO Reinforced Matrix Bi-2223 Conductor, presented at the 7th US-Japan Workshop on Superconductors, Kyoto, Japan, March 13–15, 1995.Google Scholar
- 14.J. A. Parrell, S. H. Dorris, and D. C. Larbalestier, The Effect of Sheath Material and Deformation Method on the Oxide Core Density, Filament Uniformity, and Critical Current Density of (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Tapes, in:“Advances in Cryogenic Engineering”, R. P. Reed et al. , ed. , Plenum Press, New York, (1994), p. 193.Google Scholar