Transport Critical Current Density Distributions in Ag/Bi-2223 Tapes
IV characteristics have been studied for monocore Ag sheathed Bi-2223 tapes, fabricated from both sol-gel and mechanically-milled precursor powders. Results have been obtained with the c-axis of the sample both parallel and perpendicular to the applied field, together with the force-free orientation. The angular dependence of the critical current has also been measured. The IV characteristics have been analysed in terms of their n-value and second-differential. The spatial dependence of the critical current has been measured using a scanning Hall probe. The results suggest that the transport current follows a percolative path which is limited by current flow in the c-axis direction, and that most of the current flows in a thin layer of highly aligned Bi-2223 grains near to the Ag sheath. The limiting mechanism in the c-axis direction is thought to be weak-link grain boundaries.
KeywordsCritical Current Critical Current Density Misorientation Angle Precursor Powder Percolative Path
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Hensel, J. C. Grivel, A. Jeremic, A. Perin, A. Pollini and R. Flükiger, l’hysica (’ 205 329 (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.R. G. Jones, E. H. Rhoderick and A. C. Rose-Innes, Phys. Lett. 24A (6) (1967).Google Scholar
- 9.P. H. Kes, J. Aarts, V. M. Vinokur and C. J. van der Beek, l’hys. Rev. Lett. 64 (9 1063 (1990).Google Scholar
- 11.K. Osamura, S. Nonaka and Y. Katsumura, l’roc. IG’~ IC’EC/ICMC Kitakyushu, Japan, ed T. Haruyama, T. Mitsui and K. Yamafuji 1357 (1996).Google Scholar
- 15.J. R. Cave, H. D. Ramsbottom, D. W. A. Willén, R. Nadi, W. Zhu and A. Paquette, Proc. I6 ICEC/ICMC Kitakyushu, Japan, ed T. Haruyama, T. Mitsui and K. Yamafuji 279 (1996).Google Scholar
- 16.P. N. Mikheenko, J. Horvat, Q. Y. Hu, M. Ionescu and S. X. Dou, Supercord Sci Technol. 10 444 (1997)Google Scholar
- 19.B. Hensel, G. Grasso, D. P. Grindatta, H. U. Nissen and R. Flükiger, Inst. Phys. Conf. Series EUCAS’95 148 459 (1995).Google Scholar
- 21.K. Osamura, H. Ito, T. Horita, S. Nonaka and H. Okuda, Presented at this conference, (1997)Google Scholar
- 22.L. Wu, Y. Wang, W. Bian, Y. Zhu, T. R. Thurston, R. L. Sabatini, P. Haldar and M. Suenaga, Submitted to J. Mat. Res. (1997).Google Scholar