Vamas Round Robin Tests on Composite Material and Solder at Liquid Helium Temperature
A Technical Working Area 17, cryogenic structural materials, has been organized in the Versailles Project on Advanced Materials and Standards (VAMAS) to promote the prestandardization program on material properties tests of glass fiber reinforced polymer (GFRP) composite materials and alloys at liquid helium temperature. A series of international interlaboratory comparisons of both compression and shear tests for composite material G-10 CR and tensile tests for solder were performed. Eleven research institutes from seven nations have participated in this project. In compression and shear tests on the composite material, the amount of data scatter increased in lower temperature. The scatter of the compression strength decreased by the limitation of specimen geometry. The scatter of shear strength was small among the same testing procedure. The scatter of solder among the institutes are much due to the lower strength of the material.
KeywordsCompressive Strength Shear Test Glass Fiber Reinforce Polymer Solder Composite Liquid Helium Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ogata, T., Nagai, K., Ishikawa, K., Shibata, K., and Fukushima, E., VAMAS Interlaboratory Fracture Toughness Test at Liquid Helium Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 36, (1990) 1053–1060Google Scholar
- 2.Ogata, T., Nagai, K., Ishikawa, K., Shibata, K., and Fukushima, E., VAMAS Second Round Robin Test of Structural Materials at Liquid Helium Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 38, (1992) 1053–1060Google Scholar
- 3.Ogata, T., Nagai, K., and Ishikawa, K., VAMAS Tests of Structural Materials at Liquid Helium Temperature, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 40, (1994) 1191–1198Google Scholar
- 4.Zabra, R.F, An Overview of Compression Standards Development for Composite Materials, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 36, (1990) 835–842Google Scholar
- 5.Evans, D., Johnson, I., Jones, H., Hughes, D.D., Shear Testing of Composite Structures at Low Temperatures, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 36, (1990) 819–826Google Scholar
- 6.Simon, N.J., Drexler, E.S., and Reed, R.P., Shear/Compressive Tests for ITER Magnet Insulation, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 40, (1994) 977–983Google Scholar
- 9.Becker, H., and Erez, E.A., A Study of Interlaminar Shear Strength at Cryogenic Temperatures, Adv. Cryo. Eng.(Mater.) 26 (1980) 252–258Google Scholar
- 10.Ogata, T., and Evans, D., VAMAS Tests of Structural Materials on Aluminum Alloy and Composite Material at cryogenic Temperatures, Adv. Cryo. Eng. (Mater.) 42, (1996) 277–284Google Scholar