Insulation for Wind and React High Temperature Superconducting Coils
A thin, thermally stable, well-adhered insulation is needed for the fabrication of High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) coils. Due to the brittle nature of HTS materials the Wind and React (W & R) approach is employed. Therefore one has to use high temperature compatible insulating material for providing the turn to turn electrical insulation in the W&R HTS coils. A sol-gel ceramic based insulation coating process has been developed at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (NHMFL) for providing such insulation. Optical microscopy, Environmental Scanning Electron Microscopy (ESEM), and X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) were used to study the microstructure and phase composition of insulation coatings obtained. A stack of six double pancakes which was fabricated using this sol-gel insulation coating for turn-to-turn electrical insulation produced 1.2 T in a background field of 17.5 T at 4.2K.
KeywordsHigh Temperaturc Superconductor Environmental Scan Electron Microscopy Electrical Insulation Insulation Coating Zirconia Coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. I. Godfrey, I. Belenli, Y. S. Hascicek, High temperature cryo-insulation for I ITS coils, NHMFL Annual Report (1995), p. 140.Google Scholar
- 6.De Sanctis, L. Gomez and N. Pellegri, C. Parodi, A. Marajofsky, Protective glass coating on metallic substrates, J. of Non-Crystal. Solid, 121, 338, (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Andrianainarivelo, R. J. Cornu, D. Leclercq, P. H. Mutin and A. Vioux, Non-hydrolytic sol-gel process zirconium titanante gels, J. Mater. Chem., 7, 2, 279, (1997).Google Scholar
- 10.A. D. Nikulin, A. K. Shikov, E. V. Antipova, N. E. Khlebova, I. A. Erokhina, I I Akimov, Ultrathin ceramic insulation for Ag-sheathed high T, superconductors, IEEE Trans., Appl., Supercond., 61, 1842, (1995).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Dislich, in “ Sol-gel technology for thin films, fibers, preforms, electronics, and specialty shape”, edited by L. C. Kleein ( Noyes, Park Ridge), NJ, (1988) pp. 55.Google Scholar
- 13.I. H. Mutlu and Y. S. Hascicek, High temperature compatible insulation for high temperature superconducting (HTS) or low temperature superconducting (LTS) conductors, US patent application pending.Google Scholar
- 14.I. H. Mutlu, R. E. Goddard and Y. S. Hascicek, ESEM hot stage evaluation of sol-gel insulation coatings for high field HTS magnets, Microscopy and Microanalysis, Cleveland Ohio, (accepted ) (1997).Google Scholar
- 15.H. W. Weijers, D. Hazelton, L. Cowey, Y. S. Hascicek, I. H. Mutlu, U. P. Trociewitz and S. W. Van Sciver, Bi-2212 coils for 1 T class insert coils, accepted for publication in the proceedings CEC/ICMC 1997.Google Scholar