The Critical Properties of Three A15 Multi-Filamentary Superconductors Changed by Axial Compression and Tension
Three different types of A15 conductors (Nb3Sn, Nb3A1 and V3Si) are investigated on the axial strain dependence of the critical parameters. The critical current of these conductors is investigated over a broad range from −1 to +0.5% axial strain in the A15 filaments. The strain dependence of the (extrapolated) upper-critical field is evaluated with Ekin’s power-law description for the axial strain and a description that is based on the deviatoric strain tensor. The formulation based on the deviatoric strain incorporates the entire strain tensor in the deformation dependence of the critical properties. The critical current scaling in a V3Si sample in the compressive strain regime is investigated and correlates well with a linear dependence of the upper-critical field on the deviatoric strain. A comparison is presented for the dependence of the upper-critical field in three A15 conductors. Finally the T c of a Nb3Sn conductor is investigated in a wide strain regime from compressive to tensile strain.
KeywordsAxial Strain Critical Property Strain Dependence Deviatoric Strain Composite Conductor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. W. Ekin, Strain scaling law for flux pinning in practical superconductors. Part l: Basic relationship and application to Nb3Sn conductors Cryogenics 20: 611 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.B. ten Haken, A. Godeke and H. H. J. ten Kate, Investigation of Microscopic strain by X-ray diffraction in NB3SN tape conductors sub-jected to compressive and tensile strains, Adv. Of Cryo. Eng. 42: 1463 (1996).Google Scholar
- 6.B. ten Haken, A. Godeke and H. H. J. ten Kate, A reversible rise in the critical current of a Nb3Sn tape conductor due to transverse compressive stress, Applied Superconductivity 1995, Inst. Of Phys. Coni. Ser No 148: 85 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Ekin and S. L. Bray, High Compressive axial strain effect on the critical current and field of Nb3Sn superconducting wire, Adv. Of Cryo. Eng. 42: 1407 (1996).Google Scholar
- 8.B. ten Haken, Strain effects on the critical properties of high-field superconductors, Phd. Thesis, University of Twente (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.T. Takeuchi et. al., Strain effects in Nb3A1 multifilamentary conductors prepared by phase transformation from bee supersaturated-solid-solution, to be published in Appl. Phys. Lett.Google Scholar