AC Losses in Bi-2223 Composite Tapes
The ac losses in several samples of silver-sheathed Bi2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox (Bi-2223) high-temperature superconducting tapes have been measured. The measurements were made at 77K, using both transport and magnetic techniques. The results from each technique are compared to each other and to the result predicted by the Bean model. A significant discrepancy is observed between both sets of experimental results and theory. Possible reasons for this are discussed within the contexts of an anisotropic current density, flux line curvature, and the effect of multi-filamentary structures. All of the losses show a linear frequency dependence from 30 to 300 Hz indicating a hysteresis-dominant mechanism. The losses at 60 Hz are at a promising level for power cable applications. Preliminary ac loss measurements carried out on a l m, single-phase, multi-strand conductor prototype carrying over 1100 amps are also discussed.
KeywordsCritical Current Density Power Cable Transport Loss Bean Model Single Tape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.P. Malozemoff, W.L. Carter, J.J. Gannon, C.H. Joshi, P. Miles, M. Minot, D. Parker, G.N. Riley Jr., E. Thompson and G. Yurek, Cryogenics 32 (ICMC Supplement), 478 (1992).Google Scholar
- 2.G.N. Riley Jr. and W.L. Carter, Bull. Amer. Cer. Soc., July 1993, to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Zannella, L. Martini, I. Natali Sora, V. Ottoboni, A.M. Ricca, G. Ripamonti, L. Gerhardi and P. Metra in Physics and Materials Science of High Temperature Superconductors II, ed. by R. Kossowski et al. ( Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, 1992 ), pp. 633–642.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Sandhage, W.L. Carter and G.N. Riley Jr., J. Metals 43, 21 (1991).Google Scholar
- 13.A.P. Malozemoff in Physical Properties of High Temperature Superconductors, ed. by D. Ginsberg (World Scientific, Singapore, 1989), pp. 71–150, section IIC-1.Google Scholar
- 14.A.P. Malozemoff in High Temperature Superconducting Compounds II, ed. by S.H. Whang ( TMS Publications, Warrendale, PA, 1990 ), p. 3.Google Scholar
- 15.D.C. Cronemeyer, T.R. McGuire, A.P. Malozemoff, F. Holtzberg, R.J. Gambino, L.W. Conner and M. McElfresh in Transport Properties of Superconductors. ed. by R. Nicolsky ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1990 ), p. 11.Google Scholar
- 19.D. Von Dollen, P. Metra and M. Rahman, Design Concept of a Room-Temperature Dielectric HTS Cable, American Power Conference, Chicago, April 1993.Google Scholar