The Effect of Transverse Pressure on the Inter-Strand Coupling Loss of Rutherford Type of Cables
In the framework of the LHC magnet development program at CERN, the effect of transverse pressure on the inter-strand coupling loss of Rutherford type of cables has been investigated. For this purpose a special measuring set-up is designed to measure calorimetrically the AC loss of a stack of keystoned cable pieces for an applied transverse pressure of up to 130 MPa. An AC dipole produces a varying magnetic field with a maximum amplitude of 1 T; the stack of cable pieces can be rotated with respect to the AC dipole in order to distinguish the inter-filament coupling loss from the inter-strand coupling loss. Measurements are presented of a NbTi cable with tinned strands as envisaged to be used for the inner layer of the LHC main bending dipoles. The inter-strand coupling loss increases strongly for higher pressures. The contact resistance Rc between crossing strands, as determined using a network model for the cable, varies between about 7 and 1 μΩ for pressures between 5 and 100 MPa respectively. The small Rc value at 100 MPa corresponds well with AC loss measurements on a model magnet in which a similar cable is used.
KeywordsContact Resistance Coupling Loss Main Cable Wide Side Coupling Current
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.P. Verweij and R. Wolf, Field errors due to eddy currents in the cable of the LHC pinkbook dipole, CERN internal note 92–52.Google Scholar
- 2.T. Ogitsu e.a., Influence of cable eddy currents on magnetic field harmonics, ICFA workshop on AC superconductivity, KEK, Tsukuba (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.D. ter Avest and L.J.M. van de Klundert, On the interstrand resistances in superconducting cables, Cryogenics, Vol. 30, p. 694 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.G.H. Morgan, Eddy currents in flat metal-filled superconducting braids, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 44, pp. 33193322 (1973).Google Scholar
- V.E. Sytnikov e.a., Transport and induced currents distribution in superconducting transposed cables, Adv. in Cryog. Eng.,Vol. 38, pp. 553–558 (1992).Google Scholar
- 10.A.P. Verweij and H.H.J. ten Kate, Time constants of inter-strand coupling currents in Rutherford cables for different geometries, to be presented on the EUCAS, Gottingen, Germany (1993).Google Scholar
- 12.A.P. Verweij e.a., AC loss measurements on the one-metre prototype dipole magnets for the CERN LHC, to be presented on the MT13, Victoria, Canada (1993).Google Scholar
- 13.A.P. Verweij, L.E. Eriksson and H.H.J. ten Kate, Study on the AC magnetization of LHC type of Rutherford cables, presented at the 1993 IISSC, San Fransisco.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Leroy and P. Tixador, To be published.Google Scholar