Electric-Field-Effect Devices Based on Partially Oxygen-Depleted, Superconducting Y-Ba-Cu-O Thin Films
The electric-field effect in metal-insulator-YBa2Cu3Ox (YBCO) superconductor, thin-film structures with thick (~200 nm), partially oxygen-depleted YBCO channels was investigated. The devices were fabricated with a laser-writing patterning technique, which is based on laser-heating-induced local changes of the oxygen content in a YBCO film. A thin, amorphous YBCO layer, deposited on the top of a patterned film, or, alternatively, a whole film substrate, were used as gate insulators. A number of test structures, with oxygen-deficient (superconducting at 10–60 K) channels and fully oxygenated (superconducting above 85 K) source and drain electrodes, were fabricated and measured. Our results indicate that the field effect observed in our samples is related to the charge-transfer effects associated with field-enhanced modifications of the crystalline order in YBCO.
KeywordsField Effect Gate Voltage Test Structure Gate Insulator YBCO Film
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.See, e.g., B. W. Veal, J. Z. Liu, A. P. Paulikas, K. Vandervoort, H. Claus, J. C. Campuzano, C. Olson, A.-B. Yang, R. Liu, C. Gu, R. S. List, A. J. Arko, and R. Bartlett, Photoelectron spectroscopy study of YBa2Cu3Ox with varied oxygen stoichiometry: possible evidence for strong coupling superconductivity, Physica C 158: 276 (1989).Google Scholar
- 8.W. Xiong, W. Kula, and R. Sobolewski, Fabrication of high-Tc superconducting electronic devices using the laser-writing technique, in Advances in Cryogenic Engineering—Materials, Vol. 40, Plenum, New York (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Sobolewski, W. Xiong, W. Kula, and J. R. Gavaler, Laser patterning of Y-Ba-Cu-O thin-film circuits, Appl. Phys. Lett. (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 10.R. Sobolewski, W. Xiong, W. Kula, and B. McIntyre, Electrical and structural properties of the YBCO superconducting-semiconducting interface, Physica B (to be published).Google Scholar
- 12.W. Kula and R. Sobolewski, Charging effect in partially oxygen-depleted Y-Ba-Cu-O thin films, in preparation.Google Scholar