Numerical Simulation and Experimental Verification of the Oscillating Flow in a Multi-Bypass Pulse Tube Refrigerator with Area Change
This paper describes an improved numerical model for simulating the oscillating gas flow and detail performance of a multi-bypass pulse tube refrigerator (MPTR) with area change. The governing equations that include the pressure gradient, inertia, viscous and convection terms are based on the conservation of mass, energy and momentum for oscillating flow. The control-volume method is used to discrete the governing partial differential equations on a staggered grid. Simulation results and predicated performance are compared with experiment. Good agreement has been found between the two. The effects of the orifice, double-inlet and multi-bypass valves on the dynamic parameters and refrigeration performance of the MPTR are presented.
KeywordsMass Flow Rate Stagger Grid Pulse Tube Pulse Tube Refrigerator Grid Refinement Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gifford, W.E. and Longsworth, R.C. Pulse tube refrigeration, Trans. ASME, No. 63-WA-290, NOV. 17–22:264 (1963).Google Scholar
- 4.Zhou, Y. and Han, Y. J. Pulse tube refrigerator research, Int. Cryocooler Conf. 7:147 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.Ishizaki, Y. and Ishizaki, E. Experimental study and modelization of pulse tube refrigerator below 80K down to 23K, Int. Refrigeration Conference, 7:140 (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.Radebaugh, R. Recent developments in refrigerators, Int. Con. Ref. 19: 973 (1995).Google Scholar
- 8.Wu, P. Y and Zhu, S. W. Mechanism and numerical analysis of orifice pulse tube refrigerator with a valveless compressor, Proc. Int. Conf. Cry. and Refrig. 85 (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.Kays, W. M. and London, A. L. Compact Heat Exchangers, 2nd McGraw-Hill, New York, USA (1964).Google Scholar
- 12.Patankar, S.V. Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Hemisphere, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA (1980).Google Scholar
- 13.Ju, Y. L., Wang, C. and Zhou, Y. Dynamic experimental study of the multi-bypass pulse tube refrigerator with two-bypass tubes, presented at CEC/ICMC 97, Portland, USA.Google Scholar