Low Temperature Elasticity and Magnetic Susceptibility of Gd-Y Alloys
The longitudinal and torsional complex elastic modulus of the poly crystalline alloys Gd100-xYx (x = 0, 5.5, 7.5, 10.2, 12.0) have been measured by ultrasonic technique at the frequencies near 91 and 55 kHz correspondingly in the temperature range 5–300 K. The effective a.c. magnetic susceptibility χ eff at the frequency 100 Hz was being measured simultaneously.
It was revealed an increase of elasticity between x = 0 and x = 7.5 in the whole temperature range, as well as four anomalies of the temperature dependences of elastic modules for yttrium containing alloys, which were interpreted as: a) conventional features in the region of Curie points T c ; b) first order magnetic phase transition (evidently from ferromagnetic phase to a sort of helicoid) located for all the alloys in the narrow temperature range 245.5 – 248 K); c) two adjacent second order phase transitions from helicoid tofinal angle ferromagnetic phase, with transitions temperatures monotonously decreasing in the interval 83 < T < 146 K when increasing the yttrium contents.
KeywordsRare Earth Metal Order Phase Transition Curie Point Magnetic Refrigeration Spin Reorientation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.N.R. Tailor and M.T. Darby. “Physics of Rare Earth Solids”, Chapman and Hall Ltd, London (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.V.A. Finkel. “Structura Redkozemel’nykh Metallov”, Metallurgiya, Moskva (1978) -(“Structure of Rare Earth Metals”, in Russian).Google Scholar
- 3.K.P. Belov. “Redkozemel’nyie Magnetiki i Ikh Primeneniye”, Nauka, Moskva, (1980) -(“Rare-Earth Magnets and Their Applications”, in Russian).Google Scholar
- 4.K.P. Belov, A.K. Zvezdin, A.M. Kadomtseva and RZ. Levitin. “Orientatsionnyie Perekhody v Redkozemel’nykh Magnetikakh”, Nauka, Moskva (1979) -(“Orientational Transitions in Rare-Earth Magnets”, in Russian).Google Scholar
- 6.A.Yu. Romanov and V.P. Silin, On Magnetocalorical Effect of Heterogeneous Ferromagnets, Fizika MetaUov i Métallovedenie, 83:5 (1997) -(Metal Physics and Material Science, in Russian).Google Scholar
- 7.A.B. Beznosov and G.S. Nikol’ski, Electron interactions and crystal lattice of rare earth metals, Sov. J. Low Temp. Phys. 10:1336 (1976).Google Scholar
- 11.P.P. Pal-Val and H.-J. Kaufmann, Influence of Microplastic Deformation on the Electronic Absorption of Ultrasound in High-Purity Molybdenum Single Crystals, Sov. J. Low Temp. Phys., 9:163 (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.A.O.E. Animalu. “Intermediate Quantum Theory of Crystalline Solids”, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, (1977).Google Scholar
- 14.A.B. Beznosov, V.N. Gorbach, and S.A. Ivakhnenko, Band Structure and Atomic Radius of Gd-La Alloys, Solid State Physics, 20:3146(1978).Google Scholar