Use of Molecular Biology to Study Development and Function of Mammalian Oocytes
Elucidating the genetic program that controls the differentiation of mammalian gametes has been complicated by various factors, including the small size, small numbers, and relative inaccessibility of the cells. In this chapter, I review recent advances in molecular biological approaches and methods that now make this task feasible. Although particular emphasis is placed on analysis at the level of the genes and their mRNAs, analysis of proteins is equally important. Rather than providing a catalogue of the temporal expression of genes during oogenesis, this review illustrates how different approaches have been used to elucidate the pattern of expression of a few of the better-characterized genes.
KeywordsMouse Oocyte Zinc Finger Domain Male Germ Cell Meiotic Maturation Mammalian Oocyte
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bachvarova, R., 1985, Gene expression during oogenesis and oocyte development in mammals, in: Developmental Biology, Vol. 1 ( L. W. Browder, ed.), Plenum Press, New York, pp. 453–524.Google Scholar
- Erlich, H. A., Gelfand, D. H., and Saiki, R. K., 1988, Specific DNA amplification, Science 331: 461–462.Google Scholar
- Herr, W, Sturm, R. A., Clerc, R. G., Corcoran, L. M., Baltimore, D., Sharp, P. A., Ingraham, H. A., Rosenfeld, M. G., Finney, M., Ruvkun, G., and Horvitz, H. R., 1988, The POU domain: A large conserved region in the mammalian pit-1, oct-1, act-2, and Caenorrhabditis elegans unc-86 gene products, Genes Dev. 2: 1513–1516.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Keshet, E., Rosenberg, M. P, Mercer, J. A., Propst, F., Vande Woude, G. F., Jenkins, N. A., and Copeland, N. G., 1987, Developmental regulation of ovarian-specific mos expression, Oncogene 2: 235–240.Google Scholar
- Peters, H., 1969, The development of the mouse ovary from birth to maturity, Acta Endocrionol. 62: 98–116.Google Scholar
- Propst, F., Rosenberg, M. P, Iyer, A., Kaul, K., and Vande Woude, G. F, 1987, C-mos proto-oncogene RNA transcripts in mouse tissues: Structural features, developmental regulation, and localization in specific cell types, Mol. Cell. Biol. 7: 1629–1637.Google Scholar
- Schwartzberg, P., Goff, S. P, and Robertson, E. J., 1989, Germ-line transmission of a c-abl mutation produced by targeted gene disruption in ES cells Science 246: 799–803.Google Scholar
- Wolgemuth. D. J., Engelmeyer, E., Duggal, R. N., Gizang-Ginsberg, E. E., Mutter, G. L., Ponzetto, C., Vivano, C., and Zakeri, Z. F, 1986, Isolation of a mouse cDNA coding for a developmentally regulated, testis-specific transcript containing homeo box homology, EMBO J. 5: 1229–1235.Google Scholar
- Wolgemuth, D. J., Viviano, C. M., Gizang-Ginsberg, E., Frohman, M. A., Joyner, A. L., and Martin, G. R., 1987, Differential expression of the mouse homeobox-containing gene Hox-1.4 during male germ cell differentiation and embryonic development, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 84: 5813–5817.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar