Long-Term Potentiation as a Model
Long-term potentiation (LTP) is a strengthening of synaptic transmission that was first discovered in the hippocampus (Bliss and Lomo, 1973). If one stimulates the afférents to the hippocampus at a high rate (100 Hz for 3 sec), the excitatory postsynaptic potentials in the hippocampal pyramidal cells are subsequently found to be larger than normal, and to rise more quickly. The effect lasts for several hours, and can last for as long as the preparation does.
KeywordsNitric Oxide Arachidonic Acid NMDA Receptor Visual Cortex Synaptic Transmission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alford, S., Frenguelli, B. G., Schofield, J. G., and Collingridge, G. L., 1993, Characterization of Ca2+ signals induced in hippocampal CA1 neurones by the synaptic activation of NMDA receptors, J. Physiol (London) 469:693–716.Google Scholar
- Bashir, Z. I., Bortolotto, Z. A., Davies, C. H., Beretta, N., Irving, A. J., Seal, A. J., Henley, J. M., Jane, D. E., Watkins, J. C, and Collingridge, G. L., 1993, Induction of LTP in the hippocampus needs synaptic activation of glutamate metabotropic receptors, Nature 363:347–350.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bliss, T. V. P., and Lomo, T., 1973, Long-lasting potentiation of synaptic transmission in the dentate area of the anesthetized rabbit following stimulation of the perforant path, J. Physiol. (London) 232:331–356.Google Scholar
- Collingridge, G. L., Kehl, S. J., and McLennan, H., 1983, Excitatory amino acids in synaptic transmission in the Schaffer collateral-commissural pathway of the rat hippocampus, J. Physiol. (London) 334:33–46.Google Scholar
- Collingridge, G. L., Herron, C. E., and Lester, R. A. J., 1988, Frequency-dependent N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-mediated synaptic transmission in rat hippocampus, J. Physiol. (London) 399:301–312.Google Scholar
- Dingledine, R., 1983, N-methyl aspartate activates voltage-dependent calcium conductance in rat hippocampal pyramidal cells, J. Physiol. (London) 343:385–405.Google Scholar
- Haley, J. E., Malen, P. L., and Chapman, P. F., 1993, Nitric oxide synthase inhibitors block LTP induced by weak but not strong tetanic stimulation, Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 19:906.Google Scholar
- Lovinger, D. M., and Routtenberg, A., 1988, Synapse-specific protein kinase C activation enhances maintenance of long-term potentiation in rat hippocampus, J. Physiol. (London) 400:321–333.Google Scholar
- Lynch, M. A., Errington, M. L., and Bliss, T. V. P., 1989, Nordihydroguaiaretic acid blocks the synaptic component of long-term potentiation and the associated increases in release of glutamate and arachidonate: An in vivo study in the dentate gyrus of the rat, Neuroscience 30:693–701.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar