Polarization Processing for UWB Radar
Radar Polarimetry is now an established discipline within the microwave remote sensing community  and several multi-frequency polarimetric synthetic aperture radars (POLSARs) are currently operational . In these systems the complete 2 × 2 complex scattering matrix of the target is imaged in range and azimuth and by analysing the relative amplitude and phase of terms in this matrix, classification and parametric inversion is possible. Usually such systems operate at high resolution but narrow fractional bandwidth in one or more of the frequency bands L( λ = 25 cm) C (λ = 6 cm) or X (λ = 3 cm). Such methods have already been applied in a wide range of remote sensing problems, from surface scattering studies  to woody biomass estimation .
KeywordsFDTD Simulation Spectral Entropy Spectral Matrix Spectral Vector Antenna Polarization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W M Boerner, “Polarimetry inChwr(133) Sensing and Imaging of Terrestrial and Planetary Environments”, Invited Keynote Address, Proceedings of 3rd International Workshop on Radar Polarimetry (JIPR ‘85), IRESTE, University of Nantes, France, April 1995, pp 1–38Google Scholar
- HJ Kramer “Observation of the Earth and its Environment”, Springer Verlag, Berlin, ISBN 3–540–60933–4, 1996Google Scholar
- P Dubois, J van Zyl, T Engman “An Empirical Soil Moisture Estimation Algorithm using Imaging Radar”, Proceedings of IGARSS ‘84, pp 1573–1575, Pasadena, August 1994Google Scholar
- T Le Toan, A Beaudoin, J Riom, D Guyon “Relating Forest Biomass to SAR data”, IEEE Trans GRS Vol. 30, March 1992, pp 403–411Google Scholar
- A Nelander “ Analysis of Wide-band Polarimetric Radar”, Proceedings of 3rd International Workshop on Radar Polarimetry (JIPR ‘85), IRESTE, University of Nantes, France, April 1995, pp 89–98Google Scholar
- S. R. Cloude, P.D. Smith, A. Milne, C. Thornhill, G Crisp, “K-Space Imaging Algorithms applied to UWB SAR”, Proceedings of 1st IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Austin, Texas, 13–16 November 1994, pp 491–495Google Scholar
- S R Cloude, A.M Milne, P D Smith,“Time Domain Modelling: Integral Equations, Finite Difference and Experimental Results ” IEE Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Electromagnetics, Publication No. 350, London, November 1991, pp 241–244Google Scholar
- S.R. Cloude, E. Pottier, “An Entropy Based Classification Scheme for Land Applications of Polarimetric SAR”, Proceedings of International Symposium on Retrieval of Bio-and Geophysical Parameters from SAR data for land applications, CNES, Toulouse, France, October 10–13, 1995Google Scholar