Quantum Optics of Dielectric Media
Because quantum fluctuations impose fundamental limits on the accuracy of measurements, much attention is now being devoted to the problem of moderating or supressing their effect. If a quantity to be measured can be regarded as one of a pair of conjugate variables, for example, then its variance can usually be made arbitrarily small, but only at the expense of increasing the variance of the unmeasured variable. This technique requires putting the system being observed in a special sort of quantum state, referred to as “squeezed” 1.
KeywordsCoherent State Creation Operator Dielectric Medium Glass Block Scatter Wave Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1(a).D. Stoler, Phys. Rev. D 1, 3217 (1970); Phys. Rev. D 4, 1925 (1971);Google Scholar
- 1(b).D. Stoler, for a review see D. Walls, Nature 306, 141 (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.for a review of the recent results see (a) “Squeezed States of the Electromagnetic Field”, ed. H. J. Kimble and D. Walls, special issue of J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 4, (1987); (b) “Squeezed states”, ed. R. Loudon and P. L. Knight, special issue of J. Mod. Opt. 34, (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.R. J. Glauber, in “Quantum Optics and Electronics”, ed. C. De Witt, A. Blandin and C. Cohen-Tannoudji, Gordon and Breach, New York 1965; Phys. Rev. 130,2529 (1963); 131, 2766 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Graham, in ref. 2 (b), p.873.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Friberg and L. Mandel, Opt. Comm. 46, 141 (1983); R. Loudon and T. J. Shephard, Optica Acta 31, 1243 (1984); see also R. J. Glauber, in “Quantum Optics”, ed. A. Kujawski and M. Lewenstein, Reidel, Dordrecht 1986 and references therein.Google Scholar
- 7(a).L. Mandel, Phys. Rev. Lett. 49 136 (1982); Google Scholar
- 7(b).W. Schleich and J. A. Wheeler, Nature 326, 574 (1987).Google Scholar
- 9.Z. Bialynicka-Birula, I. Bialynicki-Birula, in ref. 2, p. 1621.Google Scholar
- 10.I. Abram, Phys. Rev. A 35, 4661 (1987).Google Scholar
- 12.E. M. Purcell, Phys. Rev. 69, 681 (1946); D. Kleppner, Phys. Rev. Lett. 47, 233 (1981); modifications of spontaneous decay in dielectric media are discussed by G. S. Agarwal in “Quantum Electrodynamics and Quantum Optics”, ed. A. O. Barut, Plenum 1984.Google Scholar