Processing of citrus juices
The citrus growing areas in the United States are located in the States of Florida, California, Texas and Arizona. The largest crop is harvested in Florida where over 90% of the oranges and approximately 55% of grapefruit are processed into juice products. Brazil’s crop is larger than Florida’s, where even larger percentages of oranges are processed for juice. Other citrus growing areas in the Western Hemisphere include Mexico, Central America, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and countries on the northern part of South America. The machinery used for the processing of citrus juices in these countries and in other regions, such as Spain, Italy, Israel and around the Mediterranean is quite similar.
KeywordsShell Side Juice Yield Citrus Juice Screw Conveyor Feed Mill
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hendrickson, R. and Kesterson, J. W. By-Products of Florida Citrus,Bulletin No.698. Agricultural Experiment Stations, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA.Google Scholar
- Hugot, E. Handbook of Cane Sugar Engineering,Elsevier, London.Google Scholar
- Kern, D. Q. Process Heat Transfer,McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Kesterson, J. W., Hendrickson, R. and Braddock, R. J. Florida Citrus Oils,Technical Bulletin No. 749, Agricultural Experiment Stations, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA.Google Scholar
- Nagy, Shaw and Veldhuis. Citrus Science and Technology,Vols. 1, 2, AVI Publishing Company, Westport, CT.Google Scholar
- Papers of Annual Citrus Processors Meeting, University of Florida, Agricultural Research and Education Center, PO Box 1088, Lake Alfred, FL 33850, USA.Google Scholar
- Proceedings of the Annual Short Course for the Food Industry, Cooperative Extension Service, Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA.Google Scholar
- Quality Control Manual for Citrus Processing Plants, Intercit Inc, 1575 Tenth St. South, Safety Harbor, FL 34695, USA.Google Scholar
- Transactions of the Citrus Engineering Conference 1955–1989, Florida section, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.Google Scholar