From a culture of war and violence to a culture of peace and non-violence
In my remarks today, I should like to speak to three issues: 1) trace briefly the transition from the Seville Statement on Violence to the United Nations initiatives for a culture of peace. 2) look at each of the 8 action areas for a culture of peace and consider them as research challenges; and 3) take a quick look at the development of the global movement for a culture of peace and consider that, also, as a research challenge.
KeywordsConflict Resolution Research Challenge Global Movement Truth Commission Reconciliation Commission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adams, D.B., 1981, Ethics of aggression research: Papers from a symposium of International Society for Research on Aggression. Aggression Research 7: 367–369.Google Scholar
- 2.Scott, J.P., 1987, The biological basis of warfare. In Essays in Violence ( J. Martin Ramirez, R. Hinde and J. Groebel, eds.) University of Seville, Spain.Google Scholar
- 4.Adams, D.B. and Bosch, S. 1987, The myth that war is intrinsic to human nature discourages action for peace by young people. In Essays in Violence ( J. Martin Ramirez, R. Hinde and J. Groebel, eds.) University of Seville, Spain.Google Scholar
- 5.Adams, D. 1991, The Seville Statement on Violence: Preparing the Ground for the Constructing of Peace, UNESCO, Paris.Google Scholar
- 6.Adams, D. (ed), 1995 UNESCO and a Culture of Peace: Promoting a global movement, UNESCO, Paris.Google Scholar
- 7.Averill. J.R., 1982, Anger and Aggression: An essay on emotions. Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- 12.Tutu, D., 1999, No Future without Forgiveness. Rider, London.Google Scholar
- 13.Huesmann, L.R and Eron, L.D. (eds.) 1986. Television and the Aggressive Child.. A cross-national comparison Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.Google Scholar
- 15.Adams, D.B., 1983. Why there are so few women warriors. Behavior Science Research, 18: 196–212.Google Scholar
- 16.Adams, D.B., 1985. The American Peace Movements: History, Root Causes, and Future. Advocate Press, New Haven.Google Scholar
- 17.Adams, D.B., 1995. Psychology for Peace Activists: A New Psychology for the Generation Who Can Abolish War (Revised Edition). Advocate Press, New Haven.Google Scholar
- 20.Archer, D. and Gartner, R., 1984. Violence and Crime in Cross-National Perspective. Yale University Press, New Haven.Google Scholar