Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism in High-Risk Patients by Prophylactic Administration of Oral Anticoagulants
In recent years the development of sensitive and specific noninvasive methods for diagnosis of venous thrombosis, with confirmation by phlebography, and improvements in the diagnostic methods available for detection of pulmonary embolism have made it possible to identify a number of major risk factors for venous thromboembolism. These features of a patient’s illness may be employed as criteria for selection of the patient as a candidate for prophylactic administration of antithrombotic agents. The more important risk factors that predispose to venous thromboembolism are shown in Table 1.
KeywordsPulmonary Embolism Venous Thrombosis Venous Thromboembolism Oral Anticoagulant Prophylactic Administration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Hirsh and E.W. Salzman, Prevention of venous thromboembolism, in: “Hemostasis and Thrombosis,” R.W. Colman, J. Hirsh, V.J. Marder, E.W. Salzman, eds., J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.V.V. Kakkar, P.J. Fok, W.J.G. Murray, T. Paes, D. Mereustein, R. Dodds, R. Farrell, R.Q. Crellin, E.M. Thomas, T.R. Morley, A.J. Price, Heparin and dihydroergotamine prophylaxis against thromboembolism after hip arthroplasty, J Bone Joint Surg. (Br) 67:538 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.G.P. Clagett and E.W. Salzman, Prevention of venous thromboembolism, in: “Pulmonary Embolism,” A.A. Sasahara, E.H. Sonnenblick, M. Lesch, eds., Grune & Stratton, New York (1974, 1975).Google Scholar
- 13.S. Borgstrom, T. Greitz, W. Van der Linden, J. Molin, I. Rudics, Anticoagulant prophylaxis of venous thrombosis in patients with fractured neck of the femur: A controlled clinical trial using venous phlebography, Acta Chir Scand. 129:500 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.H.W. Hamilton, J.S. Crawford, J.H. Garginer, and A.M. Wiley, Venous thrombosis in patients with fracture of the upper end of the femur, J Bone Joint Surg. (Br) 52:268 (1970).Google Scholar
- 21.W.H. Harris, J.K. Raines, C. Athanasoulis, A.C. Waltman, and E.W. Salzman, External pneumatic compression versus warfarin in reducing thrombosis in high-risk hip patients, in: “Venous Thrombosis: Prevention and Treatment,” J.L. Madden and M. Hume, eds., Appleton-Century, NY (1976).Google Scholar
- 23.W.J. Crawford, F. Hillman, and J. Charnley, A clinical trial of prophylactic anticoagulant therapy in elective hip surgery, Wrightington Internal Publications No. 14 (1968), cited in R. Johnson, J.R. Green, and J. Charnley, Pulmonary embolism and its prophylaxis following the Charnley total hip replacement, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 127:123 (1977).Google Scholar
- 24.G. Paiement, S.J. Wessinger, A.C. Waltman, and W.H. Harris, Low-dose warfarin versus external pneumatic compression for prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism following total hip replacement, Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 25.G. Paiement, S.J. Wessinger, and W.H. Harris, Cost effectiveness of prevention and early detection of venous thromboembolism in total hip replacement patients, Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 31.M.N. Levine, G. Raskob, and J. Hirsh, Hemorrhagic complications of long-term anticoagulant therapy, Chest 89:16S (1986).Google Scholar