A SDS/Page/Western Blot/EIA Protocol for the Specific Detection of Shrimp Viral Pathogens
Shrimp viral diseases have seriously impacted the sustainability and economic success of the shrimp aquaculture industry worldwide. Among several of the recent viral pathogens which caused massive mortalities in cultured shrimp were the yellow-head virus (YHV) and the white spot baculovirus (WSBV) (also called the Chinese baculovirus [CBV] or the systemic ectodermal and mesodermal baculovirus [SEMBV]). Both YHV and CBV have been reported by our laboratory to be highly pathogenic for Penaeus stylirostris (blue shrimp) and P. vannamei (white shrimp), the two principal penaeid species commercially cultured in Hawaii and the Western Hemisphere (Lu et al. 1997). They are thus potentially a serious problem particularly to the brood stock industry.
KeywordsPenaeid Shrimp Confirmatory Assay Cell Culture Lysate Penaeid Prawn Specific Viral Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, P.S., Y.C. Wang, C.F. Lo and G.H. Kou. (1996). Infection of white spot syndrome associated non-occluded baculovirus in cultured and wild shrimps. Second International Conference on the Culture of Penaeid Prawns and Shrimps, SEAFDEC, Iloilo City, Philippines, May 14–17, 1996.Google Scholar
- Durand, S., D.V. Lightner, L.M. Nunan, R.M. Redman, J. Mari and J.R. Bonami,. (1996). Dis. Aquatic Org. In press. Laemmli, U.K. (1970). Nature 227: 680–685.Google Scholar
- Mari, J., R.J. Bonami, and D.V. Lightner. (1993). Virmet 74: 2637–2643.Google Scholar
- Poulos, B.T., J. Mari, J.A. Bonami, R.M. Redman and D.V. Lightner. (1994). J. Virol. Meth. 49: 187–194.Google Scholar
- Tapay, L.M., Y. Lu, E.C.B. Nadala Jr., J.A. Brock, and P.C. Loh. (1996). Development of an in vitro quantal assay in primary cell cultures for a baculo-like virus of penaeid shrimps. Proc. Second International Conference on the Culture of Penaeid Prawns and Shrimps. Iloilo City, Philippines. p. 53.Google Scholar
- Tapay, L.M., E.C.B. Nadala, Jr., S. Cao, and P.C. Loh. (1997). The specific detection of shrimp viral pathogens by Western blot. Oceanology Internatl. 97-Pacific Rim 2: 35–44.Google Scholar