Endocrine Factors Regulating Crustacean Reproductive Maturation
Crustaceans including shrimp, crab and lobster are major marine resources with a high commercial value. The U.S. alone imports more than $2 billion worth of shrimp annually. Aquaculture will serve as an important supplement to commercial shrimp fishing for domestic shrimp consumption. Actually, shrimp farming has grown into a $4 billion industry worldwide.
KeywordsShrimp Farming Spider Crab Pyroglutamic Acid Pacific White Shrimp Crustacean Hyperglycemic Hormone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Seltz, Barbara S., 1988, Crustacean Neurohormones, in Laufer, H. and Downer, R. (eds): Endocrinology of Selected Invertebrate Types, New York, Alan R. Liss, Inc., pp. 235–258.Google Scholar
- Chang, Ernest S., Prestwich, Glenn D., and Bruce, Marilyn J., 1990, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Coinmunication, 171(2),pp. 818–826.Google Scholar
- Laufer, H., J. Paddon, and M. Paddon, 19976, A hormone enhancing larva production in the pacific white shrimp, Penaeus vannamei. In: IV symposium on aquaculture in Central America: focusing on shrimp and tilapia, D.E. Alston, B.W. Green and H.C. Clifford, (eds.), the Latin American Chapter of the World Aquaculture Society, pp. 161–162.Google Scholar
- Laufer H., L. Liu, and F. Van Herp, 1993, A neuropeptide family that inhibits the mandibular organ of crustacean and may regulate reproduction, Insect Neurochemistry and Neurophysiology, ed. Alexej B. Bovkovec and Marcia J. Loeb, CRC press, Boca Ruton, FL, p. 203–206.Google Scholar
- Laufer, H., Borst, D., Baker, F. C., Carrasco, C., Sinkus, M., Reuter, C. C., Tsai, L., W., and Schooley, D. A., 1987, Science, 235: 202–205.Google Scholar
- Lei Liu, Hans Laufer, Peter J. Gogarten, and Minhua Wang, 1997, cDNA cloning of a mandibular organ inhibiting hormone from the spider crab Libinia emarginata, in 5th International Conference of Invertebrate Neurochemistry and Neurophysiology, Sept.7–11, (in press).Google Scholar
- Lei Liu, Hans Laufer, Yajun Wang, and Timothy Hayes, 1997, Biochem. Biophy. Res. Comm., 237:694–701. Lei Liu and Hans Laufer, 1996, The Archive of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology, 32: 376–386Google Scholar