Performance Analysis of a Cellular Slotted CDMA System with Imperfect Power Control over a Rayleigh Fading Channel
An analytical approach for the calculation of throughput and delay in a cellular slotted CDMA system with imperfect power control is presented. Power control is essential for such systems for good performance, however, perfect power control is hard to achieve in real systems. Usually, imperfections in power control after despreading are modelled as a lognormal random variable. It has been shown that the standard deviation of this variable is a function of the mobiles velocity and of whether or not the mobile is communicating with the base station where the power is measured. In this work, we show that when this fact is not taken into account the performance analysis results obtained are too optimistic. We use the error statistics to model the intercell interference and evaluate the impact of different mobiles velocity and number of resolvable paths on the system performance.
KeywordsTime Slot Fading Channel Power Control Outage Probability CDMA System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lee J.S., Miller L.E., CDMA Systems Engineering Handbook, Artech House, Boston, London, 1998.Google Scholar
- Adachi F., Sawahashi M., Suda H., “Wideband DS-CDMA for Next Generation Mobile Communications Systems”, IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 56–69, September 1998.Google Scholar
- Ojanperä T., Prasad R., Wideband CDMA For Third Generation Mobile Communications, Artech House, Boston, London, 1998.Google Scholar
- Sampath A., Mandayam N.B. Holtzman J.M., “Erlang Capacity of a Power Controlled Integrated Voice and Data CDMA System”, Proc. IEEE VTC’97, pp. 1557–1561, Phoenix, AZ, USA, May 1997.Google Scholar
- Padovani R., “Reverse Link Performance of IS-95 based Cellular System”, IEEE Personal Communications, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 28–34, Third Quarter 1994.Google Scholar
- Hashem B., Sousa E., “Increasing the DS-CDMA System Reverse Link Capacity by Equalizing the Performance of Different Velocity Users ”, Proc. IEEE ICC’98,Atlanta, Georgia, USA.Google Scholar
- Omiyi P.E., O’Farrel T., “Throughput and Delay Analysis of a Novel Slotted CDMA MAC protocol for Multimedia Communications in Wireless LANs”, Proc. IEEE PIMRC’98, Boston, MA, USA, September 1998Google Scholar
- Salient O., Agusti R., “A Proposal for an Adaptive S-ALOHA Access System for a Mobile CDMA Environment”, “, IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 47, No.3, pp 977–986, August 1998.Google Scholar
- Viterbi A.M., Viterbi A.J., Zehavi E. “Other-Cell Interference in Cellular Power-Controlled CDMA”, IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 42, No. 2/3/4, pp. 1501–1504, February/March/April 1994.Google Scholar