Fair Sharing of MAC under TCP in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
In this study we investigate the performance of TCP and MAC layer in a wireless multi-hop network. Using simulation, we provide new insights into the interactions between TCP and various MAC layer protocols, including CSMA, FAMA and 802.11. These MAC protocols were chosen because they provide an evolution of wireless medium access schemes, starting with carrie sing (CSMA), then evolving to the utilization of RTS/CTS control frames (FAMA) and finally progressing to collision avoidance and acknowledgements (802.11). We examine these interactions in various network topologies and in a mobile environment where node movements are unpredictable. In particular, we address the issue of fair sharing of MAC with multiple TCP flows.
KeywordsDistribute Coordination Function Yield Time Aggregate Throughput Control Frame Wireless Multihop Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Bagrodia, R. Meyer, et al., “PARSEC: A Parallel Simulation Environment for Complex System”, Computer Magazine, 1998.Google Scholar
- R. Bagrodia and M. Gerla, “A Modular and Scalable Simulation Tool for Large Wireless Networks”, International Conference on Modeling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, 1998.Google Scholar
- Bikram Bakshi, Krishna, P., Pradhan, D.K., and Vaidya, N.H., “Performance of TCP over Wireless Networks”, 17th Intl. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems ( ICDCS ), Balti May 1997.Google Scholar
- Hari Balakrishnan, Srinivasan Seshan, Randy H. Katz, “Improving Reliable Transport and Handoff Performance in Cellular Wireless Networks”, ACM Wireless Networks, 1 (4), December 1995.Google Scholar
- V. Bharghavan, A. Demers, S. Shenker, and L. Zhang, “MACAW: A Media Access Protocol for Wireless LAN’s,” ACM SIGCOMM, 1994.Google Scholar
- Editors of IEEE 802.11, Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications, Draft Standard IEEE 802.11, P802.11/D5. 0, July 1996.Google Scholar
- C. Fullmer and J.J. Garcia-Luna-Aceves, “Floor Acquisition Multiple Access (FAMA) for packet radio networks”, Computer Communication Review, vol. 25, (no. 4), (ACM SIGCOMM ’85, Cambridge, MA, USA, 28 Aug.-1 Sept. 1995.) ACM, Oct. 1995.Google Scholar
- Mario Gerla, Ken Tang, Rajive Bagrodia, “TCP Performance in Wireless Multihop Networks”, Proceedings of IEEE WMCSA’99, Feb. 1999.Google Scholar
- John Jubin and Janet D. Tomow, “The DARPA Packet Radio Network Protocols”, Proceedings of the IEEE, Jan. 1987.Google Scholar
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, “Computer Networks: Third Edition”, Prentice Hall PTR, New Jersey, 1996.Google Scholar
- X. Zeng, R. Bagrodia and M. Gerla, “GloMoSim: a Library for the Parallel Simulation of Large-scale Wireless Networks”, PADS, 1998.Google Scholar
- M. A. Marsan and Mario Gerla, “Fairness in Local Computer Networks”, ICC Conference Proceedings, June 1982.Google Scholar