Seamless Multimedia Service for Third Generation Mobile Radio Networks
In this paper we propose a method to provide Seamless Service to the users of Third Generation Mobile Radio Networks. More precisely, the idea of separating the phase of Handover and Connection Re-Routing, at the Radio Interface and the Fixed Network side respectively, is introduced. This can be obtained by connecting some Nodes B (base stations) to multiple Radio Network Controllers and introducing a Trajectory Prediction Algorithm in the Network. In the paper we formalize our approach by proposing a General Methodology to plan the Topology of connections between the Nodes B and the Controllers. Both Radio and Fixed Network aspects are taken into account.
KeywordsOptimum Topology Radio Interface Omnidirectional Antenna Overlap Topology Handover Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Special Issue on “IMT-2000: Standard Efforts of the ITU”, IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, Vol. 4, N. 4, August 1997.Google Scholar
- Special Issue on “UMTS”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, November 1998.Google Scholar
- Evaluation Report for ETSI UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access (UTRA) ITU-R RTT Candidate, 30 September 1998, http://www.itu.int/imtl2-radio-devlreports/etsi/eva_utra.pdf
- O. C. Ibe, “Essentials of ATM Network and Services”, Addison Wesley, 1997.Google Scholar
- Special Issue on “Wireless ATM”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol.15, N. 1, January 1997.Google Scholar
- M. Ajmone Marsan, C.-F. Chiasserini, R. Lo Cigno, M. Munafò, “Local and Global Handovers for Mobility Management in Wireless ATM Networks”, IEEE Personal Communications, October 1997.Google Scholar
- J.Ryu, B.C.Shin, “A New QoS-based Handoff Menagement Scheme in Wireless ATM Networks”, IEEE 48th Vehicular Technology Conference 1998 (VTC ’88), Ottawa, May 1998.Google Scholar
- T. Liu, P.Bahl, I. Chlamtac, “Mobility Modeling, Location Tracking, and Trajectory Prediction in Wireless ATM Net-works”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 16, N. 6, August 1998.Google Scholar
- R. Verdone, A. Zanella, “Power and Traffic Driven Handover Algorithms in Microcellular Networks with Non-Uniform Traffic Distribution”, IEEE 49th Vehicular Technology Conference 1999 (VTC’99), Houston, TX, June 1999.Google Scholar