The previous chapter discussed metals in which correlation plays a minor role in the dynamics of the electron. The properties of the electron gas could be calculated simply and accurately. The present chapter discusses other metallic systems in which correlation plays a much larger role in the dynamics of the electron. These topics come under the title of strong correlation. Strong correlation causes itinerant magnetism.
KeywordsBrillouin Zone Spectral Function Ground State Energy Hubbard Model Random Phase Approximation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abrikosov, A. A., Physics 2, 61 (1965).Google Scholar
- Gunnarsson, O., and K. Schönhammer, in Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths ed. K. A. Gschneider, L. Eyring, and S. Hüfner (North-Holland, Eyring, and S. 1987 ), Vol. 10, p. 103.Google Scholar
- Herbst, J. E, and J. W. Wilkins, Handbook of the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths,Vol. 10, ed. K. A. Gschneider, L. Eyring, and S. Hüfner (Elsevier, New York, 1987), Chap. 68.Google Scholar
- Jaccard, D., and J. Sierro, in Valence Instabilities, ed. P. Wachter, and H. Boppart ( North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982 ), p. 409.Google Scholar
- Lee, P. A., T. M. Rice, J. W Serene, L. J. Sham, and J. W. Wilkins, Comments on Condensed Matter Phys. XII, 99–161 (1986).Google Scholar
- Mahan, G. D., in Solid State Physics, ed. H. Ehrenreich, and E Spaen, Vol. 51 ( Academic Press, New York, 1997 ), pp. 81–157.Google Scholar
- Mermin. N. D., and H. Wagner, Phys. Rev Lett. 17, 1133 (1966).Google Scholar
- Silverstein, S. D., and C. B. Duke, Phys. Rev. 61, 456, 470 (1967).Google Scholar
- Wilkins, J. W, in Valence Instabilities, ed. P. Wachter, and H. Boppart (North-Holland, New York, 1982). Yosida, K., Phys. Rev. 147, 223 (1966).Google Scholar