Electroacoustical Engineering Fundamentals: The Dynamic Loudspeaker
In this chapter we will develop the basic electro-mechano-acoustical model of the dynamic cone loudspeaker, detailing how the device attains its flat power response passband and reference efficiency. We will also discuss the basic directional properties of cone loudspeakers under several conditions of baffling. A number of assumptions will be made based on the physics of the acoustic wave equation, drawing on primary references in the literature as needed. In the way of terminology, a loudspeaker mechanism is generically referred to as a transducer or as a driver. The term loudspeaker is all-embracing, referring both to drivers and complete systems.
KeywordsSound Pressure Level Resonance Curve Directivity Index Acoustic Wave Equation Radiation Impedance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Bibliography and references
- Beranek, L., Acoustics,John Wiley and Sons, New York (1954). (Reprinted 1993 by American Institute of Physics, Woodbury, NY)Google Scholar
- Borwick, J., Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook, Butterworths, London (1988).Google Scholar
- Eargie, J., Electroacoustical Reference Data, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston (1994).Google Scholar
- Hunt, F., Electroacoustics: The Analysis of Transduction and its Historical Background, Acoustical Society of America, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- Kinsler, L., et al., Fundamentals of Acoustics, third edition, John Wiley and Sons, New York (1982).Google Scholar
- Massa, F., Acoustical Design Charts, The Blakiston Company, Philadelphia (1942).Google Scholar
- Olson, H., Acoustical Engineering, D. Van Nostrand, New York (1957).Google Scholar
- Rice, C., and Kellogg, E., “Notes on the Development of a New Type of Hornless Loudspeaker,” Transactions, AIEE, volume 44, pp. 461–475 (1925).Google Scholar
- Sakamoto, N., Loudspeakers and Loudspeaker Systems,Nikankogyu Shimbun, Tokyo (1967). In Japanese.Google Scholar
- Siemens, E., U. S. Patent 149,797, issued 14 April 1874.Google Scholar
- Small, R., “Direct Radiator Loudspeaker System Analysis,” J. Audio Engineering Society, volume 20, number 5 (1972).Google Scholar