Brownian Motion Simulation of Chain Pullout: Modeling Fracture in Polymer Blends
We use Brownian dynamics to model the fracture of a polymer/polymer interface reinforced by “connector” chains . The connectors weave back and forth across the boundary, forming single (diblock copolymer) or multiple “stitches” (random copolymer). We calculate the work to fracture this interface as a function of connector architecture and conformation, and find that multi-stitch connectors dramatically improve the interfacial strength. We rationalize this with scaling arguments, and discuss recent experiments. The conclusions provide guidelines for synthesizing connectors for high-strength composites.
KeywordsDiblock Copolymer Random Copolymer Interfacial Strength Brownian Dynamic Matrix Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. T. Pickett, D. Jasnow, and A. C. Balazs, Phys. Rev. Letts. 77(4), 671, (1996).Google Scholar
- D. Gersappe, D. Irvine, A. C. Balazs, L. Guo, M. Rafailovich, J. Sokolov, S. Schwarz, and D. Peiffer, Science 265(5175), 1072 (1994).Google Scholar
- M. Sikka, W. L. Chen, N. N. Pellegrini, and K. I. Winey, in preparation.Google Scholar
- L. A. Utracki, Polymer Blends and Alloys ( Hanser, New York, 1989 ).Google Scholar
- D. Gersappe and A. C. Balais, Phys. Rev. E52 (5)[B] 5061.Google Scholar
- J. M. Deutsch, Science 240, 922 (1988); J. M. Deutsch and T. L. Madden, J. Chem. Phys. 90, 2476 (1989).Google Scholar
- M. Doi and S. F. Edwards, The Theory of Polymer Dynamics ( Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1986 ).Google Scholar
- M. Rubinstein, L. Leibler and A. Ajdari, Polym. Prepr., Am. Chem. Soc., Div. Polym. Chem 35, 628 (1994); K. P. O’Connor and T. C. B. McLeish, Polymer 33, 4314 (1992); K. E. Evans, J. Polym. Sci. 25, 353 (1987); P. Prentice, Polymer 24, 346 (1983).Google Scholar
- Kramer, E. J. “Molecular Connectors at Polymer Interfaces; Hairs, Staples, and Stitches”, presented at March Meeting of the American Physical Society (1996).Google Scholar
- Funded in part by ONR grant N00014–91-J-1363, NSF grant DMR-91–07102, and DOE grant DE-FG02–90ER45438 to A. C. B. and grant DMR-92–17935 to D. J. We thank Drs. D. Gersappe, C. Yeung, and M. Rubinstein for helpful discussions.Google Scholar