The European Experience of and Attitudes to the Development of International Accounting Standards

  • Noel Hepworth


The Fédération des Experts Comptables Européens (FEE) is the representative organisation for the accountancy profession in Europe. It groups together 38 professional bodies from 26 countries, including all 15 Member States of the European Union and the 3 main member countries of EFTA. Between them, these bodies have a combined membership of 400.000 individuals, of whom approximately 95% are from EU countries. Roughly 45% of the accountants represented in FEE work in public practice, providing a wide range of services to clients. The other 55% work in various capacities in industry, commerce, government and education. FEE also co-operates with the professional organisations of Central and Eastern Europe, some of whom are already observer members of FEE.


Public Sector Accounting Standard Accountancy Profession International Accounting Standard Public Sector Organisation 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.


  1. 1.
    ‘Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the application of international accounting standards — COM (2001) 80.’ This proposal after amendment was adopted by the European Parliament on 12 March 2002. It currently requires approval by the Council of Ministers.Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    See FEE PSC paper published by CIPFA 1991, `The Audit of Management — Ideas from Germany.’Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    For a complete summary of the arrangements for state audit in the European Union see State Audit in the European Union, published by the national Audit Office 2001, available free of charge.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2002

Authors and Affiliations

  • Noel Hepworth

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations