Fiberoptics in Confocal Microscopy
During the past 30 or so years, fiberoptics research has seen enormous developments, driven mostly by the benefits to be gained in telecommunications. However, the resultant standards of performance and production of optical fibers have permitted numerous adaptations in analytical instrumentation. For example, optical fibers can be used in remote sensing applications (by taking analysis to the sample, rather than bringing the sample to the analytical instrument) and/or to increase the modularity of instrumentation by providing flexible connectivity between isolated optical devices that would otherwise require complete hardware integration.
KeywordsOptical Fiber Fiber Output Multimode Fiber Entrance Pupil Detection Aperture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Born, M., and Wolf, E., 1980, Principles of Optics, 6th ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford, Sect. 1.5.2.Google Scholar
- Delaney, P.M., Harris, M.H., and King, R.G., 1993b, Remote interrogation of objective lenses using a novel fiber optic confocal microscope reduces movement artefacts. In: 1993 International Conference on Confocal Microscopy and 3D Image Processing Proceedings, Sydney, Australia, Feb. 1993, p. 66.Google Scholar
- Delaney, P.M., King, R.G., Lambert, J.R., and Harris, M.H., 1994b, Fiber optic confocal imaging (FOCI) for subsurface imaging of the colon in vivo, J. Anat. 184:157–160.Google Scholar
- Katzir, A., 1993, Lasers and Optical Fibers in Medicine, Academic Press, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Sharonov, S., Morjani, H., and Manfait, M., 1992, Confocal spectral imaging analysis: A new concept to study the drug distribution in a single living cancer cell, Anticancer Res. 12:1804.Google Scholar
- Snyder, A.W., and Love, J.D., 1983, Optical Waveguide Theory, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Wilson, J., and Hawkes, J.F.B., 1989a, Optoelectronics. An Introduction, 2nd ed., Prentice-Hall, Hemel, Hempstead, Sects. 8.3.3, 8.3.4, and 8.5.2.Google Scholar
- Wilson, J., and Hawkes, J.F.B., 1989b, Optoelectronics. An Introduction, 2nd ed., Prentice-Hall, Hemel, Hempstead, Sect. 8.5.2.Google Scholar
- Wilson, T., Juskaitis, R., and Rimvidas, 1992, Confocal and differential microscopy using optical fiber detection. In: Proceedings of SPIE-International Society for Optical Engineering, vol. 1660 pt. 2.Google Scholar