Antibody to Glycolipid in a Patient with IgM Paraproteinemia and Polyradiculoneuropathy
Although peripheral neuropathy is a well-known complication of myeloma and other paraproteinemias, it has been uncertain whether these paraproteins play a primary role in the pathogenesis of neuropathy or not. Recently Braun et al. (1982) demonstrated that IgM monoclonal antibodies from patients with IgM paraproteinemia and polyneuropathy reacted with myelin-associated glycoprotein (MAG). Ilyas et al. (1984) reported that IgM from some of these patients reacted with both MAG and an acidic glycolipid in human peripheral nerve ganglioside fraction, and suggested that a carbohydrate determinant which reacted with these patients’ IgM was shared between MAG and this acidic glycolipid. We reported previously (Baba et al., 1985) a patient with IgM paraproteinemia and polyradiculoneuropathy whose serum only reacted with a lipid component in human peripheral nerve ganglioside fraction but not with MAG. We demonstrate here further studies on this glycolipid.
KeywordsIntraneural Injection Human Peripheral Nerve Acidic Glycolipid Orcinol Reagent Crude Ganglioside
myelin associated glycoprotein
bovine serum albumin
thin layer chromatography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ilyas AA, Quarles RH, MacIntosh TD, Dobersen MJ, Trapp BD, Dalakas MC, Brady RO (1984) IgM in a human neuropathy related to paraproteinemia binds to a carbohydrate determinant in the myelin-associated glycoprotein and to a ganglioside. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 1225–1229.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nakamura K, Ariga T, Yahagi T, Miyatake T, Suzuki A, Yamakawa T (1983b) Interspecies comparison of muscle gangliosides by two-dimentional thin-layer chromatography. J Biochem (Tokyo) 94: 1359–1365.Google Scholar
- Nemni,R, Galassi G, Latov N, Sherman WH, Olarte MR, Hays AP (1983) Polyneuropathy in nonmalignant IgM plasma cell dyscrasia: A morphological study. Ann Neurol 14: 43–54.Google Scholar
- Sato S, Baba H, Tanaka M et al. (1983) Antigenic determinant shared between myelin-associated glycoprotein from human brain and natural killer cells. Biomed Res 4: 489–494.Google Scholar
- Towbin H, Staehelin T, Gordon J (1979) Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: Procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 76: 4350–4354.Google Scholar