The aim of this chapter is to provide the food scientist with practical information which will enable selection of the appropriate antimicrobial preservatives for use in food products. Although the trend in the market place has been towards less additives in foods, attention must be paid by the professional food scientist to the possibility of survival and proliferation of pathogenic microorganisms in foods. Antimicrobial preservatives can still provide a useful role in combination with good manufacturing practice to ensure safe food products. The use of antimicrobial food preservatives also extends the storage life of foods and reduces wastage, costs of processing and disposal problems.
KeywordsLactic Acid Bacterium Propylene Glycol Food Technology Good Manufacturing Practice Propyl Gallate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beuchat, L. R. and Golden, D. A. (1989) Antimicrobials occurring naturally in foods. Food Technology 43 (1), 134–142.Google Scholar
- Branen, A. L. and Davidson, P. M. (eds) (1983) Antimicrobials in Foods. Marcel Dekker, New York.Google Scholar
- Davidson, P. M. and Parish, M. E. (1989) Methods for testing the efficacy of food antimicrobials. Food Technology 43 (1), 148–155.Google Scholar
- Daeschel, M. A. (1989) Antimicrobial substances from lactic acid bacteria for use as food preservatives. Food Technology 43 (1), 164–167.Google Scholar
- ICMSF (1980) Microbial Ecology of Foods. Vol. 1: Factors Affecting Life and Death of Microorganisms. AP, New York.Google Scholar
- Lewis, R. L. (1989) Food Additives Handbook. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York.Google Scholar
- Lueck, E. (1980) Antimicrobial Food Preservatives. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Roberts, T. A. (1989) Combinations of antimicrobials and processing methods. Food Technology 43 (1), 156–163.Google Scholar
- Wagner, M. K. and Moberg, L. J. (1989) Present and future use of traditional antimicrobials. Food Technology 43 (1), 143–147, 155.Google Scholar
- Williams S. (1984) Official Methods of Analysis of the Accocíation of Official Analytical Chemists. ( 14th edn ). AOAC, Arlington, VA, USA.Google Scholar