Cloning and Analysis of rfb Gene Synthesizing the Mannan O Side Chain of Escherichia coli 09 Lipopolysaccharide
The rfb gene encoding the proteins responsible for the synthesis of the repeating units (0 side-chain) of Escherichia coli 09 lipopolysaccharide was cloned into a conjugative plasmid RP4: :miniMu and was expressed in E. coli K-12.
KeywordsAdjuvant Activity Shigella Dysenteriae Synthetic Liquid Medium Shiga Toxin Gene Typical Ladder Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brahmbhatt, H. N., Wyk, P., Quigley, N. B. and Reeves, P. R., 1988, Complete physical map of the rfb gene cluster encoding biosynthetic enzymes for the 0 antigen of Salmonella typhimurium LT2. J. Bact. 170: 98–102.Google Scholar
- 3.Kado, C. I. and Liu, S.-T., 1981, Rapid procedure for detection and isolation of large and small plasmids. J. Bact. 145: 1365–1373.Google Scholar
- 4.Maniatis, T., Fritsch, E. F. and Sambrook, J., 1982, Molecular cloning, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.Google Scholar
- 5.Ohta, M., Kido, N., Hasegawa, T., Ito, H., Fujii, Y., Arakawa, Y., Komatsu, T. and Kato, N., 1987, Contribution of the mannan 0 side-chains to the adjuvant action of lipopolysaccharides. Immunology 60: 503–507.Google Scholar
- 6.Sturm, S. and Timmis, K. N., 1986, Cloning of the rfb gene region of Shigella dysenteriae 1 and construction of an rfb-rfp gene cassette for the development of lipopolysaccharide-based live anti-dysentery vaccines. Microbial Pathogenesis 1: 289–287.Google Scholar
- 7.Timmis, K. N., Clayton, C. L. and Sekizaki, T., 1985, Localization of Shiga toxin gene in the region of Shigella dysenteriae 1 chromosome specifying virulence functions. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 30: 301–305.Google Scholar
- 8.Weisgerber, C., Jann, B. and Jann, K., 1984, Biosynthesis of the 09 antigen of Escherichia coli. Eur. J. Biochem. 140: 553–556.Google Scholar