Nonlinear Filters in Image Processing
Since J.W. Tukey introduced median filters in signal processing (), a vast variety of nonlinear filters and families of nonlinear filters for image processing has been suggested. In order to ease navigating in this ocean of filters we will provide in this chapter a classification of the filters described in the literature and describe some most useful filters for image denoising, enhancement and segmentation. The classification is aimed at revealing general common principles in the filter design and their efficient implementation in serial computers and parallel computational networks.
KeywordsEdge Detection Impulse Noise Image Denoising Filter Output Neighborhood Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. W. Tukey, Exploratory Data Analysis, Addison Wesley, 1971Google Scholar
- 2.J. Serra, Image Analysis and Mathematical Morphology, Academic Press, 1983, 1988Google Scholar
- 4.I. Pitas, A. N. Venetsanopoulos, Nonlinear Digital Filters. Principles and Applications. Kluwer, 1990Google Scholar
- 5.E. R. Dougherty, An Introduction to Morphological Image Processing, SPIE Press, 1992Google Scholar
- 6.H. Heijmans, Morphological Operators, Academic Press, 1994Google Scholar
- 7.E. R. Dougherty, J. Astola, An Introduction to Nonlinear Image Processing, SPIE Optical Engineering Press, 1994Google Scholar
- 8.L. Yaroslaysky, M. Eden, Fundamentals of Digital Optics, Birkhauser, Boston, 1996Google Scholar
- 9.J. Astola, P. Kuosmanen, Fundamentals of Nonlinear Digital Filtering, CRC Press, Roca Baton, New York, 1997Google Scholar
- 10.E. Dougherty, J. Astola, Nonlinear Filters for Image Processing, Eds., IEEE publ., 1999Google Scholar
- 11.L. P. Yaroslaysky, K. O. Egiazarian, J. T. Astola, “Transform domain image restoration methods: review, comparison and interpretation”, Photonics West, Conference 4304, Nonlinear Processing and Pattern Analysis,22–23 January, 2001, Proceedings of SPIE,v. 4304.Google Scholar
- 13.P. D. Wendt, E. J. Coyle, and N. C. Gallagher, Jr., “Stack Filters”, IEEE Trans. On Acoust., Speech and Signal Processing, vol. ASSP-34, pp. 898–911, Aug. 1986.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Szoplik, Selected Papers On Morphological Image Processing: Principles and Optoelectronic Implementations, SPIE, Bellingham, Wa., 1996 (MS 127).Google Scholar