The mental status examination (MSE) is an interview screening evaluation of all the important areas of a patient’s emotional and cognitive functioning, often augmented with some simple cognitive tests. The MSE provides the data for formulating a psychiatric diagnosis or developing a working hypothesis regarding psychiatric diagnosis. The MSE is to psychiatric diagnosis what the physical examination is to medical diagnosis (Andreasen & Black, 1987; Hales, Talbott, & Yudofsky, 1994; Trzepacz & Baker, 1993). The MSE also can be used as a basis for developing diagnosis of neurobehavioral disorders due to neurological damage, but this chapter will focus on the psychiatric application of the MSE. Interested readers are referred to Strub and Black’s (2000) seminal work on use of the MSE for a neurologically oriented diagnosis.
KeywordsTraumatic Brain Injury Temporal Lobe Epilepsy Brain Damage Brain Dysfunction Borderline Personality Disorder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akiskal, H. S., and Akiskal, K. (1994). Mental status examination: The art and science of the clinical interview. In M. Hersen and S. D. Turner (Eds.), Diagnostic interviewing ( 2nd ed. ). New York, NY: Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- Amchin, J. (1991). Psychiatric diagnosis: A biopsychosocial approach using DSM-III-R. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- Andreasen, N. C., and Black, D. W. (1987). Introductory textbook of psychiatry. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- Hales, R. E., Talbott, J. A., and Yudofsky, S. C. (1994). The American Psychiatric Press textbook of psychiatry (pp. 212–217 ). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- Kaplan, H. I., and Sadock, B. J. (1995). Comprehensive textbook of psychiatrylVt ( 6th ed. ). Baltimore, MD: Williams and Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Kolb, B., and Whishaw, I. Q. (2001). An introduction to brain and behavior. New York, NY: Worth.Google Scholar
- Strub, R. L., and Black, F. W. (2000). The mental status examination in neurology ( 4th ed. ). Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis Company.Google Scholar
- Trzepacz, P. T., and Baker, R. W. (1993). The psychiatric mental status examination. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Wechsler Memory Scale III: Administration and Scoring Manual. (1997). San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.Google Scholar