Stable Transfection of Plasmodium Berghei: A Crash Course
Genetic engineering is an experimental approach that is applied to a wide number of model organisms with the aim of uncovering detailed information about the molecular processes that underpin life at the unicellular and multicellular levels. Most organisms of medical interest are far from model organisms and therefore investigators may have to apply a large amount of ingenuity in order to be able to bring genetic engineering to bear on their organism of choice. Genetic engineering is initiated through transfection, which is defined as the experimental ability to introduce foreign DNA into a cell and following the specific utilisation and/or interaction of that DNA with the genetic apparatus of the cell.
KeywordsGreen Fluorescent Protein Selectable Marker Thymidine Kinase Plasmodium Berghei Double Crossover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crabb, B.S., Cooke, B.M., Reeder, J.C., Waller, R.F., Caruana, S.R., Davern, K.M., Wickham, M.E., Brown, G.V., Coppel, R.L., Cowman, A.F. (1997) Targeted gene disruption shows that knobs enable malaria-infected red cells to cytoadhere under physiological shear stress. Cell 89, 287–296.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kocken, C.H.M.., van der Wel, A.M., Dubbeld, M.A., Narum, D.L., van de Rijke, F.M., van Gemert, G.-J., van der Linde, X., Bannister, L.H., Janse, C.J., Waters, A.P. & Thomas, A.W. (1998) Precise timing of expression of a Plasmodium falciparum derived transgene in P. berghei is a critical determinant of subsequent subcellular location. J Biol Chem 273, 15119–15124.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mènard, R., Sultan, A.A., Cortes, C., Altszuler, R., van Dijk, M.R., Janse, C.J., Waters, A.P., Nussenzweig, R.S., and Nussenzweig, V. (1997) Circumsporozoite protein is required for development of malaria sporozoites in mosquitoes. Nature, 385, 336340.Google Scholar
- Sultan, A.A., Thathy, V., Frevert, U., Robson, K,.J.H., Crisanti, A., Nussenzweig, V., Nussenzweig, R.S., and MEnard, R. (1997) TRAP is necessary for gliding motility and infectivity of plasmodium sporozoites. Cell 90, 511–522.Google Scholar
- Sultan A.A., Thathy V., Nussenzweig V., Menard R. (1999) Green fluorescent protein as a marker in Plasmodium berghei transformation. Infect Immun 67, 602–2606.Google Scholar