Application Layer Issues for Digital Movies in High-Speed Networks
Digital movie system require a new generation of communication protocols. They are very demanding in terms of bandwidth, delay jitter, end-to-end delay, and multicast support within the network. We concentrate on application layer issues for digital move transmission. After introducing an application layer architecture, we present a novel, adaptive forward error correction scheme for movies, combining high correction probability with low overhead. We also present an efficient compression scheme for software movie systems, with better runtime properties than standardized movie compression algorithms.
KeywordsPacket Loss Compression Ratio Forward Error Correction Delay Jitter Redundant Packet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Campbell, T. A. DeFanti, J. Frederikson, S. A. Joyce, A. L. Lawrence, J. A. Lindberg, and D. J. Sandin, Two bit/pixel full color encoding, Computer Graphics, 1986.Google Scholar
- E. J. Delp and O. R. Mitchell, Image Compression using Block Truncation Coding, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 1979.Google Scholar
- A. Hopper, Pandora — an Experimental System for Multimedia Applications, Operating Systems, 24 (2), April 1990.Google Scholar
- B. Hornfeck, Algebra, de Gruyter, Berlin, 1976.Google Scholar
- B. Lamparter, W. Effelsberg, XMovie: Transmission and Presentation of Digital Movies under X, Proc. 2nd International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, Heidelberg, November 1991, LNCS 614, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1992, pp 328–339Google Scholar
- B. Lamparter, W. Effelsberg, N. Michl, MTP: A Movie Transmission Protocol for Multimedia Applications, In: Multimedia92, 4th IEEE ComSoc International Workshop on Multimedia Communications, Monterey, California, April 1992, pp. 260–270. Extended abstract in ACM Computer Communications Review, Vol. 22, Juli 1992, pp. 71–72Google Scholar
- B. Lamparter, W. Effelsberg, Extended Color Cell Compression — A Runtime-efficient Compression Scheme for Software Video, Proc. 2nd International Workshop on Advanced Teleservices and High-Speed Communication Architectures (IWACA-2), Heidelberg, 1994, Springer LNCS, to appear.Google Scholar
- S. Lin, J. Costello, Error Control Coding, Prentice Hall, 1983.Google Scholar
- H. Ohta and T. Kitami, A Cell Loss Recovery Method Using FEC in ATM Networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 9(9), Dezember 1991, pp. 1471–1483Google Scholar
- K. Patel, B. C. Smith, L. A. Rowe, Performance of a Software MPEG Video Decoder, In P. Venkat Rangan, editor, Proceedings of ACM Multimedia 93, Addison-Wesley, Aug 1993, pp. 75–82.Google Scholar
- M. Pins, Analysis and choice of algorithms for data compression with special emphasis on images and movies (In German), PhD Thesis, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 1990.Google Scholar
- N. Shacham, P. McKenny, Packet Recovery in High-Speed Networks using Coding, In: Proc. INFOCOM 90, San Francisco, Juni 1990.Google Scholar