Global Behavior: The Wave Packet Structural Vacillation
In this chapter we further study the evolution of wave packet discussed in Chapter 3. In order to illustrate the global behavior of the evolution of the wave packet, we employ phase space and phase space diagrams The phase space considered here is the space consisting of local wave numbers. This phase space has been called the WKB phase space (Yang, 1988a,b,c).
KeywordsWave Packet Basic Flow Structural Vacillation Global Behavior Barotropic Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Elberry, R.L. (1968). A high-rotating general circulation model experiment with cyclic time changes. Atmospheric Science Paper No. 134, Colorado State University, Fort CollinsGoogle Scholar
- Fultz, D., Long, R.R., Owens, G.V., Bohan, W., Kaylor, R., and Weil, J. (1959). Studies of thermal convection in a rotating cylinder with some implications for large-scale atmospheric motions. Meteorol. Monogr. 21, American Meteorol. Soc., Boston.Google Scholar
- Karoly, D.J. (1983). Rossby wave propagation in a barotropic atmosphere. Dynamics Atmos. Oceans 7, 111-125.Google Scholar
- Yang, H. (1988a). Global behavior of the evolution of a Rossby wave packet in barotropic flows on the earth’s 6-surface. J. Atmos. Sci. 45, 134 - 146.Google Scholar
- Zeng, Q.-C. (1982). On the evolution and interaction of disturbances and zonal flow in rotating barotropic atmosphere. J. Meteorol. Soc. Japan 60, 24 - 31.Google Scholar