Nursing Informatics Overview
Today, the core of informatics is the bridging of the clinical and information system worlds. The terms “clinical informatics” and “healthcare informatics” are becoming more frequently used in health care, as these terms are indicative of the multidisciplinary nature of managing information and implementing information systems within health care.
KeywordsBiomedical Informatics Chief Information Officer Clinical Informatics Healthcare Informatics American Medical Informatics Association
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Merriam-Webster OnLine. http://www.m-w.com/. (August 30, 2003).
- 2.IMIA—NI Website NI definition. http://www.imia.org/ni/index.html (August 30, 2003).Google Scholar
- 3.American Nurses Association. The Scope of Practice of Nursing Informatics and the Standards of Practice and Professional Performance for the Informatics Nurse Specialist. Washington, DC: American Nurses Publishing. 2001, p. vii.Google Scholar
- 4.Saba V, McCormick K. Essentials of computers for Nurses, 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.American Nurses Association. Scope of Practice for Nursing Informatics. Washington, DC: American Nurses Publishing, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.Ball MJ, Hannah KJ, Newbold SK, Douglas JV. Nursing Informatics: Where Caring and Technology Meet, 3rd ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Hannah KJ, Ball MJ, Edwards MJA. Introduction to Nursing Informatics, 2nd ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.Hebda T, Czar P, Mascara C. Handbook of Informatics for Nurses and Health Care Professionals, 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Englebardt SP, Nelson R. Health Care Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.ANCC Certified, Examination results modular, informatics, and administration programs. http://www.nursingworld.org/ancc/certify/cert/exams06.htm# InformaticsTbl (March 30, 2003).
- 13.ANCC Certification, Computer Based Testing catalog. http://www.nursingworld.org/ancc/certify/cert/catalogs/CBT (March 30, 2003), quote from p. 12.
- 14.Medical Informatics FAQ. http://www.faqs.org/faqs/medical-informatics-faq/ (November 15, 2003).
- 15.Health Informatics. http://www.fhsc.salford.ac.uk/shire/hidefinition(November 15, 2003).