Automatic Discovery of Similar Words
We deal with the issue of automatic discovery of similar words (synonyms and near-synonyms) from different kinds of sources: from large corpora of documents, from the Web, and from monolingual dictionaries. We present in detail three algorithms that extract similar words from a large corpus of documents and consider the specific case of the World Wide Web. We then describe a recent method of automatic synonym extraction in a monolingual dictionary. The method is based on an algorithm that computes similarity measures between vertices in graphs. We use the 1913 Webster’s Dictionary and apply the method on four synonym queries. The results obtained are analyzed and compared with those obtained by two other methods.
KeywordsSimilar Word Neighborhood Graph Automatic Discovery Cosine Similarity Measure Term Frequency Inverse Document Frequency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BS01]V.D. Blondel and P.P. Senellart.Automatic extraction of synonyms in a dictionary.Technical Report 89, Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium, 2001. Presented at the Text Mining Workshop 2002 in Arlington, VA.Google Scholar
- [BV02]V.D. Blondel and P. Van Dooren.A measure of graph similarity between graph vertices.Technical Report, Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain-la-neuve, Belgium, 2002.Google Scholar
- [Gre93]G. Grefenstette.Automatic thesaurus generation from raw text using knowledge-poor techniques.In Making Sense of Words. Ninth Annual Conference of the UW Centre for the New OED and Text Research. 9, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Gre94]G. Grefenstette.Explorations in Automatic Thesaurus Discovery.Kluwer Academic, Boston, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Hey01]M. Heymans.Extraction d’information dans les graphes, et application aux moteurs de recherche sur interne, Jun 2001. Université Catholique de Louvain, Faculté des Sciences Appliquées, Département d’Ingénierie Mathématique.Google Scholar
- JW99] J. Jannink and G. Wiederhold.Thesaurus entry extraction from an on-line dictionary.In Proceedings of Fusion ‘89,Sunnyvale, CA, Jul 1999.Google Scholar
- [OPT00]The online plain text english dictionary, 2000.http: //msowww. anu. edu. au/ralph/OPTED/.Google Scholar
- [Sen01]P. P. Senellart.Extraction of information in large graphs. Automatic search for synonyms.Technical Report 90, Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain-laneuve, Belgium, 2001.Google Scholar
- [Tur01]P. D. Turney.Mining the Web for synonyms: PMI-IR versus LSA on TOEFL.In Proceedings of the European Conference on Machine Learning, pages 491–502, 2001.Google Scholar
- [Wor98]Wordnet 1.6, 1998.http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/.