Determining Recurrence Intervals of Great Subduction Zone Earthquakes in Southern Alaska by Radiocarbon Dating
We outline here research in progress directed towards determining the seismotectonic cycle in the part of south-central Alaska that was deformed by vertical tectonic displacements during the great 1964 Alaska earthquake. Pre-1964 vertical displacements in this same area are recorded in the coastal stratigraphy and geomorphology. 14C analysis of fossil peat, wood, salt marsh plants and shell material from shoreline sedimentary deposits provides the quantitative dating for this study. The history of vertical deformation yields recurrence intervals for 1964-type events and may ultimately provide a means of forecasting future events.
KeywordsGreat Earthquake Peat Layer Coseismic Displacement North American Plate Cook Inlet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Combellick, RA 1986 Chronology of late-Holocene earthquakes in southcentral Alaska—Evidence from buried organic soils in upper Turnagain Arm. Geological Society of America Abstracts 18: 569.Google Scholar
- McCann WR, Perez, OJ and Sykes, LR 1980 Yakataga gap, Alaska: Seismic history and earthquake potential. Science 207: 1309–1314.Google Scholar
- Ovenshine, AT, Lawson, DE and Bartsch-Winkler, SR 1976 The Placer River silt—intertidal sedimentation caused by the Alaska earthquake of March 27, 1964. US Geological Survey Journal of Research 4: 151–162.Google Scholar
- Plafker, G 1969 Tectonics of the March 27, 1964, Alaska earthquake. US Geological Survey Professional Paper 543-I: 74 p.Google Scholar
- Plafker, G 1986 Geologic studies related to earthquake potential and recurrence in the “Yakataga seismic gap.” US Geological Survey Open File Report 86–92: 135–143.Google Scholar
- Plafker, G 1987 Application of marine-terrace data to paleoseismic studies. In Crone, AI and Omdahl, EM, eds, Proceedings of conference XXXIX — Directions in paleo-seismology. US Geological Survey Open-File Report 87–673: 146–156.Google Scholar
- Plafker, G and Rubin, M 1978 Uplift history and earthquake recurrence as deduced from marine terraces on Middleton Island, Alaska. In Proceedings of Conference VI, Methodology for identifying seismic gaps and soon-to-break gaps. US Geological Survey Open-File Report 78–943: 687–721.Google Scholar
- Reimnitz, E (ms) 1966 Late Quaternary history and sedimentation of the Copper River Delta and vicinity. PhD thesis, University of California, San Diego: 160 p.Google Scholar
- Stuiver, M and Pearson, GW 1986 High-precision calibration of the radiocarbon time scale, AD 1950–500 BC. In Stuiver, M and Kra, RS, eds, Proceedings of the 12th International 14C Conference. Radiocarbon 28(2A): 839–862.Google Scholar
- Stuiver, M and Reimer PJ 1986 A computer program for radiocarbon age calibration. In Stuiver, M and Kra, RS, eds, Proceedings of the 12th International 14C Conference. Radiocarbon 28(2B): 1022–1030.Google Scholar