Effects of Parameter Uncertainty in Modeling 14C in Groundwater
14C occurs in groundwater in dissolved carbonate (CO2(aq), HCO3− and CO3−2) and organic carbon. Carbonate contains most of the carbon in groundwater, and many measurements of its 14C content have been made. Recently, as our ability to measure the 14C content of very small samples has improved, studies of the 14C content of dissolved organic carbon have also begun (Long et al 1992). This chapter will focus on 14C in dissolved carbonate.
KeywordsParameter Uncertainty Mineral Carbonate Isotopic Equilibrium Chemical Mass Balance Incongruent Dissolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deines, P 1980 The isotopic composition of reduced organic carbon. In Fritz, P and Fontes, J Ch, eds, Handbook of Environmental Isotope Geochemistry, Vol I, The Terrestrial Environment, A. Amsterdam, Elsevier: 329–406.Google Scholar
- Fontes, J-Ch 1992 Chemical and isotopic constraints on 14C dating of groundwater. In Taylor, RE, Long, A and Kra, RS, eds, Radiocarbon After Four Decades: An Interdisciplinary Perspective. New York, Springer-Verlag, this volume.Google Scholar
- Ingerson, E and Pearson, FJ, Jr 1964 Estimation of age and rate of motion of groundwater by the 14C-method. In Miyake, Y and Koyama, T, eds, Recent Researches in the Fields of Hydrosphere, Atmosphere and Nuclear Geochemistry. Ken Sugawara Volume. Tokyo, Maruzen: 263–283.Google Scholar
- International Atomic Energy Agency 1986 Mathematical Models for Interpretationof Tracer Data in Groundwater Hydrology. Vienna, IAEA-TECDOC-381, 234 p.Google Scholar
- Long, A, Murphy, EM, Davis, SN and Kalin, RM 1992 Natural radiocarbon in dissolved organic carbon in groundwater. In Taylor, RE, Long, A and Kra, RS, eds, Radiocarbon After Four Decades: An Interdisciplinary Perspective. New York, Springer-Verlag, this volume.Google Scholar
- Loosli, MI, Lehmann, BE and Däppen, G 1991 Dating by radionuclides. In Pearson, FJ, Jr, Balderer, W, Loosli, 11H, Lehmann, BE, Matter, A, Peters, TJ, Schmassmann, H and Gautschi, A, Applied Isotope Hydrogeology: A Case Study in Northern Switzerland. Amsterdam, Elsevier and Nagra Technical Report 88–01: 153–174.Google Scholar
- Mook, WG 1976 The dissolution-exchange model for dating groundwater with 14C. In Interpretation of Environmental Isotope and Hydrochernical Data in Groundwater Hydrology. Vienna, IAEA: 213–225.Google Scholar
- — 1986 13C in atmospheric CO2. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 20: 211–223.Google Scholar
- Neretnieks, I 1981 Age dating of groundwater in fissured rock: Influence of water volume in micropores. Water Resources Research 17: 421–422.Google Scholar
- Pearson, FJ, Jr 1965 Use of C13/C12 ratios to correct radiocarbon ages of materials initially diluted by limestone. In Chatters, RM and Olsen, EA, eds, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Radiocarbon and Tritium Dating. Washington, US Atomic Energy Commission, CONF650652: 357–366.Google Scholar
- — 1991 Carbonate isotopes. In Pearson, FJ, Jr, Balderer, W, Loosli, HH, Lehmann, BE, Matter, A, Peters, TJ, Schmassmann, H and Gautschi, A, Applied Isotope Hydrogeology: A Case Study in Northern Switzerland. Amsterdam, Elsevier and Nagra Technical Report 88–01: 175–237.Google Scholar
- Siegenthaler, U 1972 Bestimmung der Verweildauer von Grundwasser im Boden mit radioaktiven Umweltisotopen (C-14, Tritium). Gas-Wasser-Abwasser 52: 283–290.Google Scholar