With rare exceptions, vascular tumors are the only benign tumors of the placenta. Tumors designated chorioangiomas, chorangiomas, fibroangiomyxomas, fibromas, and the many other names that have been applied are essentially similar, relatively common neoplasms of the placenta. Two large reviews have been published that bring together most of the literature. Fox (1967), who also reviewed the often confused nomenclature, indicated that Clarke described the first such tumor in 1798. Since then, the review by Siddall (1924) encompassed 130 cases, that by Marchetti (1939) comprised 209 cases, and Fox traced another 127 cases. Fox accounted for 344 published cases and gave incidence figures of 1 in 9,000 to 1 in 50,000. 1 When careful study of placentas is undertaken, the real prevalence may be as high as 1 in 100 pregnancies, according to some authors, although in my experience this number is excessive.
KeywordsBenign Tumor Fetal Distress Cavernous Hemangioma Placenta Previa Villous Tissue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cary, W.H.: Report of a well-authenticated case of sarcoma of the placenta. Am. J. Obstet. 69:658–664, 1914.Google Scholar
- Daniel, S.J., and Cassady, G.: Non-immunologie hydrops fetalis associated with a large hemangioendothelioma. Pediatrics 42:829–833, 1968.Google Scholar
- Dao, A.H., Rogers, C.W., and Wong, S.W.: Chorioan-gioma of the placenta: report of 2 cases with ultrasound study in 1. Obstet. Gynecol. 57:46S–49S, 1981.Google Scholar
- Fox, H.: Pathology of the Placenta. Saunders, London, 1978.Google Scholar
- Kim, C.K., Benirschke, K., and Connolly, K.S.: Chorangioma of the placenta: chromosomal and electron microscopic studies. Obstet. Gynecol. 37:372 – 376, 1971.Google Scholar
- Klaften, E.: Chorionhaemangioma placentae. Z. Geburtshilfe Gynäkol. 95:426–437, 1929.Google Scholar
- Marchetti, A.A.: A consideration of certain types of benign tumors of the placenta. Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 68:733–743, 1939.Google Scholar
- Meyenburg, H.v.: Über Hemangiomatosis diffusa placentae. Beitr. Pathol. Anat. Allg. Pathol. 70:510–512, 1922.Google Scholar
- Philippe, E., Müller, G., Dehalleux, J.-M., Lefakis, P., and Gandar, R.: Le chorio-angiome et ses complica-tions foeto-maternelles. Rev. Fr. Gynecol. 64:335–341, 1969.Google Scholar
- Siddall, R.S.: Chorioangiofibroma (chorioangioma). Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 8:430–456; 554–568, 1924.Google Scholar
- Williams, J.T.: Angioma of the placenta: with pathological report and microphotography by Dr. Frank B. Mallory. Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 32:523–526, 1921.Google Scholar