Imaging of the Pharynx after Surgical Therapy
Head and neck cancer represents approximately 4% of new cancer cases diagnosed each year in the United States. The incidence in women has risen in recent years, but there is still a pronounced male predominance, estimated at 3:1 in a recent statistical summary (1). Treatment for this debilitating disease has undergone striking evolution in the past half-century. Eradication of the primary tumor and the most common site of metastasis was initially carried out by performing total laryngectomy and radical neck dissection, often combined with pre- or postoperative radiation therapy. While this approach is successful, it is undeniably radical, and clinicians naturally sought for techniques that could preserve the laryngeal functions of swallowing and voice.
KeywordsVocal Cord Hyoid Bone Thyroid Cartilage Total Laryngectomy Tongue Base
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Silverberg E, Lubera JA: Cancer statistics 1989. CA 1989;39(1):12.Google Scholar
- 2.Logemann JA: Evaluation and Treatment of Swallowing Disorders. San Diego, College-Hill Press, 1983, pp 191–209.Google Scholar
- 9.Castelijns JA, Gerritsen GJ, Kaiser MC, et al: Invasion of laryngeal cartilage by cancer: Comparison of CT and MR imaging. Radiology 1987;166:199–206.Google Scholar
- 11.Libshitz HI (ed): Diagnostic Roentgenology of Radiotherapy Change. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1979.Google Scholar
- 13.Mancuso AA, Hanafee WN (eds): Computed Tomography of the Head and Neck. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1982.Google Scholar
- 23.DiSantis DJ, Balfe DM, Hayden RE, Sagel SS, Sessions D, Lee JKT: The neck after total laryngectomy: CT study. Radiology 1984;153:713–717.Google Scholar
- 24.DiSantis DJ, Balfe DM, Hayden R, Sessions D, Sagel SS: The neck after vertical hemilaryngectomy: Computed tomographic study. Radiology 1984;151:683–687.Google Scholar
- 25.Ogura JH, Biller HF: Conservation surgery, Symposium on head and neck cancer. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 1969;2:641–665.Google Scholar
- 27.Bocca E, Pignataro O, Oldini C: Supraglottic laryngectomy: 30 years of experience. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1983;192:14–18.Google Scholar
- 30.Niemeyer JH, Balfe DM, Hayden RE: Neck evaluation with barium-enhanced radiographs and CT scans after supraglottic subtotal laryngectomy. Radiology 1987;l62:493–498.Google Scholar