An Ant System Algorithm for the Mixed Vehicle Routing Problem with Backhauls
Ant system algorithms have been used successfully to solve many hard combinatorial problems. In this paper we introduce an ant system method to solve the mixed vehicle routing problem with backhauls. Some enhancements to the general characteristics of ant system algorithms are proposed. We concentrate on the way the candidate list is constructed, a look ahead scheme to incorporate into the visibility function and efficient rules to deal with local as well as global updating. Computational results on test problems are reported and compared to known results.
KeywordsMetaheuristic Ant system Vehicle routing Backhauls.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Bonabaeu, M. Dorigo, and G. Theraulaz. Swarm Intelligence: From Natural to Artificial Systems. Oxford University Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- B. Bullnheimer, R. Hartl, and C. Strauss. An Improved Ant System Algorithm for the Vehicle Routing Problem. Technical Report POM-10/97, Institute of Management Science, University of Vienna, 1997.Google Scholar
- B. Bullnheimer, R. Hartl, and C. Strauss. Applying the Ant System to the Vehicle Routing Problem. In I. Osman, S. Voss, S. Martello, and C. Roucairol, editors, Metaheuristics: Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimization, pages 109–120. Kluwer Academics, 1998.Google Scholar
- O. Casco, B. Golden, and E. Wasil. Vehicle Routing with Backhauls: Models, Algorithms and Case Studies. In B. Golden and A. Assad, editors, Vehicle Routing: Methods and Studies, pages 127–147. North Holland, Amsterdam, 1988.Google Scholar
- A. Colorni, M. Dorigo, and V. Maniezzo. Distributed Optimization by Ant Colonies. In F. Varela and P. Bourgine, editors, Proceedings of the European Conference on Artificial Life, pages 134–142. Elsevier Publishing, Amsterdam, 1991.Google Scholar
- O. Cordon, I. Fernandez de Viana, F. Herrera, and L. Moreno. A New ACO Model Integrating Evolutionary Computation Concepts: The Best-Worst Ant System. In M. Dorigo, M. Middendorf, and T. Stützle, editors, Abstract Proceedings of ANTS2000- From Ant Colonies to Artificial Ants: A Series of International Workshops on Ant Algorithms, pages 22–29. Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, 2000.Google Scholar
- I. Deif and L. Bodin. Extension of the Clarke and Wright Algorithm for Solving the Vehicle Routing Problem with Backhauls. In A. E. Kidder, editor, Proceedings of the Babson Conference on Software Uses in Transportation and Logistics Managemant, pages 75–96, 1984.Google Scholar
- M. Dorigo. Optimization, Learning and Natural Algorithms. PhD thesis, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1992.Google Scholar
- M. Dorigo and T. Stützle. The Ant Colony Optimization Metaheuristic: Algorithms, Applications, and Advances. Technical Report IRIDIA-2000–32, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, 2000.Google Scholar
- L. Gambardella and M. Dorigo. HAS-SOP: An Hybrid Ant System for the Sequential Ordering Problem. Technical Report 11–97,IDSIA, Lugano, Switzerland,1997.Google Scholar
- L. Gambardella, E. Taillard, and G. Agazzi. MACS-VRPTW: A Multiple Ant Colony System for Vehicle Routing Problems with Time Windows. In D. Corne, M. Dorigo, and F. Glover, editors, New Ideas in Optimization, pages 63–76. McGraw Hill, London, 1999.Google Scholar
- M. Carey and D. Johnson. Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP Completeness. Freeman, San Francisco, 1979.Google Scholar
- K. Halse. Modelling and Solving Complex Vehicle Routing Problems. PhD thesis, The Technical University of Denmark, 1992.Google Scholar
- V. Maniezzo and A. Colorni. The Ant System applied to the Quadratic Assignment Problem. IEEE Trans. Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1998.Google Scholar
- I.H. Osman and N.A. Wassan. A reactive tabu search meta-heuristic for the vehicle routing problem with backhauling. Computers and Operations Research (to appear), 5, 2002.Google Scholar
- S. Saihi and G. Rand. Improvements to Vehicle Routing Heuristics. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 38: 293–295, 1987.Google Scholar
- T. Stützle and H. Hoos. Improvements on the Ant System: Introducing MAX-MIN Ant System. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms, pages 245–249. Springer Verlag, Wien, 1997a.Google Scholar
- T. Stützle and H. Hoos. The MAX-MIN Ant System and Local Search for the Travelling Salesman Problem. In T. Baeck, Z. Michalewicz, and X. Yao, editors, Proceedings of IEEE-ICEC-EPS’97, IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation and Evolutionary Programming Conference, pages 309–314. IEEE Press, 1997b.Google Scholar
- P. Toth and D. Vigo. A Heuristic Algorithm for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Backhauls. In Advanced Methods in Transportation Analysis, pages 585608. Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1996.Google Scholar
- A.C. Wade. Constructive and Ant System heuristics for a class of VRP with Back-hauls. PhD thesis, University of Birmingham, 2002.Google Scholar