The PROBE Metaheuristic and Its Application to the Multiconstraint Knapsack Problem
A new metaheuristic technique called PROBE is presented. The application of PROBE to the multiconstraint knapsack problem is described. Experimental results obtained using the resulting algorithm are compared with the results obtained by Chu and Beasley using a Genetic Algorithm.
KeywordsMetaheuristic PROBE OCTANE Multiconstraint knapsack problem Genetic algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. Avis and K. Fukada. A pivoting algorithm for convex hulls and vertex enumerationof arrangements and polyhedra. In Proceedings of the 7th ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pages 98–104. ACM, 1991.Google Scholar
- J.E. Beasley. OR-Library: Distributing test problems by electronic mail. Journal of the Operational Research Society,41:1069–1072, 1990.http://mscmga.ms.ic.ac.uk/info.html.Google Scholar
- P. Chardaire, G. P. McKeown, and J. A. Maki. GRASP algorithms with path relinking and PROBE for the graph bisection problem. Manuscript, 2003a.Google Scholar
- R Chardaire, G. P. McKeown, and J. A. Maki. GRASP algorithms with path re-linking and PROBE for the multiconstraint knapsack problem. Manuscript, 2003b.Google Scholar
- R Chardaire, G.P. McKeown, and J. A. Maki. Application of GRASP to the 0–1 multiple knapsack problem. In E. J. W. Boers, editor, Applications of Evolutionary Computing, pages 30–39. Springer-Verlag LNCS 2037, 2001.Google Scholar
- C. Cotta and J. M. Troya. A hybrid genetic algorithm for the 0–1 multiple knapsack problem. In G. D. Smith, N. C. Steele, and R. F. Albrecht, editors, Artificial neural nets and genetic algorithms 3, pages 251–255. Springer-Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- S. Martello and P. Toth. Knapsack Problems: Algorithms and Computer Implementations. Wiley, 1990.Google Scholar
- Z. Michalwicz. Genetic Algorithms + Data Structures = Evolution Programs. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- G.R. Raidi. An improved genetic algorithm for the multiconstrained 0–1 knapsack problem. In Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, pages 207–211. IEEE, 1998.Google Scholar