An Analysis of Solution Properties of the Graph Coloring Problem
This paper concerns the analysis of solution properties of the Graph Coloring Problem. For this purpose, we introduce a property based on the notion of representative sets which are sets of vertices that are always colored the same in a set of solutions. Experimental results on well-studied DIMACS graphs show that many of them contain such sets and give interesting information about the diversity of the solutions. We also show how such an analysis may be used to improve a tabu search algorithm.
KeywordsGraph coloring Solution analysis Representative sets Tabu search.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Cheeseman, B. Kanefsky, and W.M. Taylor. Where the really hard problems are. In J. Mylopoulos and R. Reiter, editors, Proceedings of the Twelfth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, volume 1, pages 331–337. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1991.Google Scholar
- J.C. Culberson and I.P. Gent. Well out of reach: Why hard problems are hard. Technical Report APES-13–1999, APES Research Group, 1999. http://www.dcs.st-and.ac.ukl —apes/reports/apes-13–1999.ps.gz.
- L. Davis, editor. Handbook of Genetic Algorithms. Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1991.Google Scholar
- R. Dorne and J.K. Hao. A new genetic local search algorithm for graph coloring. In A.E. Eiben, T. Back, M. Schoenauer, and H.P. Schwefel, editors, Parallel Problem Solving from Nature - PPSN V, volume 1498 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 745–754. Springer-Verlag, 1998a.Google Scholar
- R. Dorne and J.K. Hao. Tabu search for graph coloring, T-colorings and set T-colorings. In S. Voss, S. Martello, I.H. Osman, and C. Roucairol, editors, Meta-Heuristics: Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimization, pages 77–92. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998b.Google Scholar
- C. Fleurent and J.A. Ferland. Object-oriented implementation of heuristic search methods for graph coloring, maximum clique, and satisfiability. In D.S. Johnson and M.A. Trick, editors, Cliques, Coloring, and Satisfiability, volume 26 of DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, pages 619–652. American Mathematical Society, 1996b.Google Scholar
- N. Funabiki and T. Higashino. A minimal-state processing search algorithm for graph coloring problems. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals, E83-A(7): 1420–1430, 2000.Google Scholar
- P. Galinier. Etude des métaheuristiques pour la résolution du problème de satisfaction de contraintes et de la coloration de graphes. PhD thesis, University of Montpellier II, France, 1999.Google Scholar
- M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson. Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completness. W.H. Freeman and Company, 1979.Google Scholar
- F. Glover and M. Laguna. Tabu Search. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- C.P. Gomes, B. Selman, and H.A. Kautz. Boosting combinatorial search through randomization. In C. Rich, J. Mostow, B.G. Buchanan, and R. Uthurusamy, editors, Proceedings of the Fifteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Tenth Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence, pages 431–437. AAAI Press/MIT Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- J.P. Hamiez and J.K. Hao. Scatter search for graph coloring. In P. Collet, E. Lut-ton, M. Schoenauer, C. Fonlupt, and J.K. Hao, editors, Artificial Evolution, volume 2310 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 168–179. Springer-Verlag, 2002.Google Scholar
- D.S. Johnson and M.A. Trick, editors. Cliques Coloring and Satisfiabilityvolume 26 of DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science. American Mathematical Society,1996.Google Scholar
- C.A. Morgenstern. Distributed coloration neighborhood search. In D.S. Johnson and M.A. Trick, editors, Cliques, Coloring, and Satisfiability, volume 26 of DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, pages 335–357. American Mathematical Society, 1996.Google Scholar
- E.P.K. Tsang. Foundations of Constraint Satisfaction. Academic Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- T. Walsh. Search in a small world. In T. Dean, editor, Proceedings of the Sixteenth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, volume 2, pages 1172–1177. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1999.Google Scholar
- T. Walsh. Search on high degree graphs. In B. Nebel, editor, Proceedings of the Seventeenth International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, volume 1, pages 266–271. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2001.Google Scholar
- D. Welsh. Codes and Cryptography. Oxford University Press, 1988.Google Scholar
- M. Yokoo. Why adding more constraints makes a problem easier for hill-climbing algorithms: analyzing landscapes of CSPs. In G. Smolka, editor, Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming - CP97, volume 1330 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 356–370. Springer-Verlag, 1997.Google Scholar