Experimental Pool Design: Input, Output and Combination Strategies for Scatter Search
We investigate several versions of a tabu scatter search heuristic to solve permutation type optimization problems. The focus lies on the design of the three main components which are comprised in every pool-oriented method. These components are the input and output procedures, which are responsible for pool maintenance and determine the transfer of elite solutions, and a solution combination method which must effectively combine a set of elite solutions. We propose several methods for each of these three components and evaluate their combinations as heuristic design variants on a sample set of capacitated Chinese postman instances. Descriptive results are discussed in detail and supported by the testing of a statistical hypothesis.
KeywordsPool method Scatter search Metaheuristics design Statistical evaluation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. Campos, M. Laguna, and R. Marti. Scatter search for the linear ordering problem. In D. Come, M. Dorigo, and F. Glover, editors, New Ideas in Optimization, pages 331–339. McGraw-Hill, London, 1999.Google Scholar
- V.-D. Cung, T. Mautor, P. Michelon, and A. Tavares. A scatter search based approach for the quadratic assignment problem. In T. Bäck, Z. Michalewicz, and X. Yao, editors, Proceedings of IEEE-ICEC-EPS’97, IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation and Evolutionary Programming Conference, pages 165–170, Indianapolis, USA, April 1997.Google Scholar
- F Glover. A template for scatter search and path relinking. In J.-K. Hao, E. Lut-ton, E. Ronald, M. Schoenauer, and D. Snyers, editors, Artificial Evolution. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1363, pages 3–51. Springer, Heidelberg,1998.Google Scholar
- P. Greistorfer. Hybrid genetic tabu search for a cyclic scheduling problem. In S. Voß, S. Martello, I. H. Osman, and C. Roucairol, editors, Meta-Heuristics: Advances and Trends in Local Search Paradigms for Optimization, pages 213–229. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 1998.Google Scholar
- P. Greistorfer and S. Voß. Controlled pool maintenance in combinatorial optimization. In Conference on Adaptive Memory and Evolution: Tabu Search and Scatter Search, 2001.Google Scholar
- M. Laguna. Optimization of complex systems with OptQuest. http://www.decisioneering.com/articles/articleindex.html 1997.
- C. R. Reeves. Genetic algorithms. In C. R. Reeves, editor, Modern heuristic techniques for combinatorial problems, pages 151–196. Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1993.Google Scholar
- SPSS. Version 10.0, SPSS GmbH Software. München, 1999.Google Scholar