Prophylactic Regimens in the Intensive Care Unit
Identify risk factors associated with the development of deep vein thrombosis and its consequence, pulmonary embolism.
Understand the indications for medical, mechanical, and inferior vena cava filter prophylaxis and describe the available methods for each.
Identify the major physiologic mechanism associated with stress-induced gastritis and ulceration and identify the risk factors associated with this condition.
Know the methods used for prophylaxis of stress-induced gastritis and ulceration and the potential complications of the medical therapies used for this condition.
Identify the nosocomial infections common in the intensive care unit and the causative organisms responsible.
Discuss the various risk factors associated with the development of infection in critically ill patients.
Employ a variety of effective prophylactic regimens to prevent pneumonia, line sepsis, and urinary tract infection in critically ill patients.
KeywordsDeep Vein Thrombosis Nosocomial Pneumonia Mucosal Blood Flow Prophylactic Regimen Danaparoid Sodium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Deep Venous Thrombosis
- Thromboembolic Risk Factors (THRIFT) Consensus Group. Risk of and prophylaxis for venous thromboembolism in hospitalized patients. Br Med J 1992; 305: 567–574.Google Scholar
Stress-Induced Gastritis and Ulceration
- Griffin JG, Meduri GU. New approaches in the diagnosis of nosocomial pneumonia. Surg Clin North Am 1994; 78: 1091–1122.Google Scholar
- Meduri GU, Johanson WG (eds) International Consensus Conference: clinical investigation of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Chest 1992; 102 (suppl 1): 551S - 588S.Google Scholar
- Intravenous Nurses Society. Intravenous Nursing Standards of Practice. Belmont, MA: Intravenous Nurses Society, 1990.Google Scholar
- Perucca R. Intravenous monitoring and catheter care. In: Terry J, Baranowski L, Lonsway RA, Hedrick C (eds) Intravenous Therapy. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1995: 392–399.Google Scholar
- Amin M Antibacterial prophylaxis in urology: a review. Am J Med 1992;92(suppl 4A):114–117.Google Scholar
- Cunnin CM. Detection, Prevention and Management of Urinary Tract Infections, 4th Ed. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1987.Google Scholar
- Wong ES. New aspects of urinary tract infections. Clin Crit Care Med 1987; 12: 25–38.Google Scholar