Viscomicrosurgery: The Use of a New Fraction of the Sodium Salt of Hyaluronate
Balazs (1950) first had the idea of using hyaluronic acid in ocular surgery. He was struck by the notable morphological similarity of this substance to the vitreous. The first preparation, extracted from the bovine eye, and with a low molecular weight (Etamucin) was, in fact, used as a substitute for the vitreous; but because of the serious reactions that it caused, its use was only tentative.
KeywordsHyaluronic Acid Retinal Detachment Intraocular Lens Human Umbilical Cord Sodium Hyaluronate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Algvere P (1971): Intravitreal implantation of a high-molecular hyaluronic acid in surgery for retinal detachment. Acta Ophthamol 49: 975–976Google Scholar
- Balazs EA, Freeman MI, Klön R, Meyer-Schwickirath G, Regnault E, Sweeney DB (1972): Hyaluronic acid and replacement of vitreous and aqueous humor. Secondary Detachment of the Retina. Mod Probl Ophthal 10: 3–21.Google Scholar
- Body BF (1981): What is Healon? Is it really the most important substance to come along in cataract surgery since alphachymotrypsin? What is its contribution to penetrating keratoplasty, intraocular lens implant surgery and dry eyes? Highlights of Ophthalmology, 9, (12): 1–5Google Scholar
- Comper WD, Laurent TC (1978): Physiological function of connective tissue polysaccharides. Phys Rev, 58, (1): 255–315Google Scholar
- Dessì P (1976): Relazione tossicologica per il Ministero della Sanità. Istituto Farmacocinetica e Tossicologia dell’Università di Bologna. datata 13/7/1976.Google Scholar
- Edmund J (1974): Vitreous substitute in the treatment of retinal detachment. Limitations and Prospects for Retinal Surgery. Mod Probl Ophthal, 12: 370–377Google Scholar
- Norm M (1981): Preoperative protection of cornea and conjunctiva. Acta Ophthalmologica, 59: 587:594Google Scholar
- Pape LG, Balazs EA: Final report on the use of Healon in glaucoma visco-surgery. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- Razemon PMM, Turut P, Capier MJ (1972): L’acide hyaluronique dans les traumatismes délabrants du globe. Bulletin des sociétés d’Ophthalmologie de France, 72, (11): 105–107Google Scholar
- Regnault F, Bregeat P (1974): Treatment of severe cases of retinal detachment with highly viscous hyaluronic acid. Limitations and Prospects for Retinal Surgery. Mod Probl Ophthal, 12: 378–383.Google Scholar
- Stanifer R, Kretzer F, Mehta R (1981): Effect of Healon on intraocular pressure, corneal thickness, and endothelial morphology in the rabbit. Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science, 20, (3 Suppl.): 230.Google Scholar